List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1344496

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, BULL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetTaunton DeaneDistrict AuthorityCreech St. Michael

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 270578

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST22NE CREECH ST MICHAEL CP BULL STREET (North side)

6/68 Church of St michael

25.2.55

GV I

Parish church. C13 nave and chancel, late C13 tower and North chapel, circa 1300 South chapel, rest C15 Perpendicular, slightly altered 1825, restored and vestry added 1868. Random rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. 4 bay nave, chancel, North East vestry, North chapel, North tower, 2 bay North aisle, South chapel and South porch. Crenellated 4-stage tower, string courses, trefoil headed 2-light louvred bell openings, 3-light below obscured by clock face, 2-light above ribbed North door, projecting 2-stage crenellated tower entered at first floor via external flight of steps; 3-light windows to North aisle and at gabled West end, 4-light in gabled West end to nave above pointed arch West door with rectangular hood mould, flanked by niches said to contain the figures of St. Michael and the Crucifixion, 3-light window in South wall of nave, gabled unbuttressed porch with unmoulded semi-circular headed opening, niche above, C19 wagon roof, remains of canopied niche in East wall, pointed arch chamfered inner doorway with C16 ribbed door. Porch abuts chapel to East, South wall splaying out and supported by wooden props at time of sunvey (March 1984), 3-light mullioned window with single-light above, both under hoodmoulds, 3-light window on East wall, 2- and 3-light in chancel flanking priest's door, diagonal buttress, 3-light East window, door on West front, 3-light window to North chapel. Interior: white- washed. Remains of C17-C18 wall paintings in spandrels of North and South nave walls. Very large semi-circular Perpendicular chancel arch, tower arches to North chapel and nave chamfered in 2 orders, pointed moulded tower arch to North aisle, arch between nave and chapel also chamfered in 2 orders. Gilded open wagon roof to chancel without wallplate, nave open wagon roof with bosses and wallplate, similar in North chapel, remains of compartment ceiling in tower, flat roof to aisle, shallow plaster wagon roof to South chapel. Arches of tower grouped in threes linked by rope-like bases, 2 bay Perpendicular arcade with rosette capitals to North aisle. Rood loft door in East wall of North chapel, originally external wall, passage cut in nave wall above arch with 3 square openings and cyma recta corbel, 3-light cinquefoil headed window in East wall to vestry, niche cut in splayed jamb of similar window in North wall to left of table tomb without effigy, to Robert Cuff died 1593/7. Aumbry in chancel; crocketed niche in jamb of North aisle pier; West end wooden gallery with raised and fielded-panels, carved swags of fruit, originally painted, approached by flight of steps set against West wall of North aisle. South chapel; piscina and remains of plasterwork decoration of circa 1700. 2 Royal Coats of Arms, one dated 1636. Good pedimented wall tablet to John Keyt died 1732, fine slate slab to James Trivell died 1728, collection of C17 floor slabs; hatchments. Low-panelled chancel screen. Perpendicular font. Reading desk dated 1634. Early C17 pulpit. C16 bench ends in chancel, The North aisle belonged to the Court Barton (qv) estate until the C20. 'An uncommonly interesting church' Pevsner. (Photographs in NMR; Kellys Directory 1897; Pevsner, Buildings of England South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST2746425290

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Kelly's Directory - Date: 1897 - Journal Title: Kelly's Directory
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 27467 25288

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 06:42:32.