List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PORT LYMPNE HOUSE, STABLE BLOCK, FORECOURT WALLS TO EAST, AND LOGGIA, PATIO, TERRACE AND SHELL FOUNTAIN TO SOUTH

List entry Number: 1344207

Location

PORT LYMPNE HOUSE, STABLE BLOCK, FORECOURT WALLS TO EAST, AND LOGGIA, PATIO, TERRACE AND SHELL FOUNTAIN TO SOUTH, ALDINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentShepwayDistrict AuthorityLympne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 175584

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TR 13 NW & SW LYMPNE ALDINGTON ROAD (South side)

3 & 6/8 Port Lympne, House, Stable Block, Forecourt walls to 29.12.66 east, and Loggia, Patio, Terrace and Shell Fountain to south. GV II*

House, stable block and formal garden. House built by about 1912 by Sir Herbert Baker in a Cape Dutch style, for Sir Philip Sassoon. Additions, including doors, east forecourt, and probably south loggias, terrace and hell fountain ,by Philip Tilden during early 1920s. Interior frieze by Glyn Philpot before c. 1920. Further decoration by Tilden. Tent room by Rex Whistler 1933-4. Restored from 1973 by J. Aspinall. Buildings and loggias red brick with plain tile roofs. Terrace and fountain ashlared stone. H-plan house, with double-pile central range lying east-west. Entrance front to east with single-storey loggia running east from each end before curving away from forecourt; solid walls to, and colonnades away from forecourt. Forecourt walls continue east from curve in loggias. North loggia connects with stable block to north side of forecourt. South loggia also frames east side of south terrace. Further, matching, loggia curving to enclose west side of south terrace. Land drops to south of terrace, permitting loggia basements which are linked by retaining wall of terrace, with shell fountain below. East elevation (entrance front): 2 storeys on flush stone plinth. Rusticated quoins suggested by recessed brick bands. Shaped brick-coped gable ends to north and south. Narrow central bay breaks forwards slightly, rising above eaves to form gable with small central rubbed brick niche, flanking inverted brick scrolls and triangular pediment. Two slightly projecting brick stacks, each evenly spaced between central bay and gable ends, with stone shoulders panelled flues and moulded cornices. Shallow round-headed recess to base of each stack. Regular 3-window front of one 4-light wooden casement between each stack and central bay, and one wooden cross-window with moulded brick float- ing cornice to central bay. 6 wooden cross-windows to groundfloor ; 2 below each first-floor casement and one within panel to base of each stack. Central rectangular doorway with bolection-moulded stone architrave, surmounted by stone trophy by Tilden. Studded bronze double doors by Tilden. Doorways and windows to loggia walls. Forecourt walls: brick-coped, with 14 stone terms, brought from Stowe, at intervals against brick pilasters. Stable block: principal section 2 storeys with hipped roof, central cupola with bell and clock, and 3 hipped eaves dormers. South elevation: shaped gables to south ends of north-south wings, with intertwined initials PS towards top of each. Brick ridge stack to each end of central section. Regular 5-window front of one cross-window to each gable end with moulded triangular brick pediment, and two 4-light and central 2-light wooden casements to central section. Moulded brick floating cornices to ground- floor windows. Central rectangular bolection-moulded stone doorway with festooned swan-neck stone pediment. Glass double doors with filigree iron- work designed by Tilden, and older lunette. Patio of patterned tiles between wings in front of central section, with 3 oval steps down to terrace. Terrace: south wall capped with open-work stone frieze of variously combined initials PS. Flights of stone steps lead down to flank oval fountain pool running back into shell-shaped ashlared recess under terrace. Concave flight of stone steps descends from pool to lawn. West elevation: Similar to east elevation but without central gable and break, and with 3-bay loggia. Interior: only partly inspected. Patterned black-and- white marble floor to passage between east and west doors on ground floor. Staircase flanked by blue marble columns to ground floor and pink marble columns to first floor. Iron balustrade to stairs copied from Caroline Park, Scotland. Moorish patio by Tilden leading off staircase to north. Egyptian frieze by Philpot to south-west room of west wing, formerly in south-west room of central section. Tent room by Whistler to north-east side of passage, said to be one of the finest examples of his work. Octagonal library behind north-east loggia. Grounds and fittings inspired by Roman associations of site. Venue for Peace Conferences 1920-21. See also items 3 & 6/9 , 6/10 , 3/6 and 7. (P. Tilden, True Remembrances: The Memoirs of an Architect, 1954. Country Life Vol. LIII. 1923; LXXI, 1932; LXXII,1932; LXXIII, 1933; LXXIX,1936 and XCVI, 1944.)

Listing NGR: TR1061035269

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Tilden, P, True Remembrances The Memoirs of an Architect, (1954)
'Country Life' in 14 March, , Vol. 79, (1936), 276-282
'Country Life' in 1 September, , Vol. 96, (1944), 374-376
'Country Life' in 4 February, , Vol. 73, (1933), 116-117
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 71, (1932)
'Country Life' in 19 May, , Vol. 53, (1923), 678-684
'Country Life' in 10 September, , Vol. 72, (1932), 285-287
Other
Part 24 Kent,

National Grid Reference: TR 10219 34985

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 09:46:26.