List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1343441

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityNaseby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360410

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NASEBY CHURCH STREET SP67NE (East side) 5/157 Church of All Saints 02/11/54

GV II*

Church. Early C13, C18 and C19. Coursed lias rubble and lias ashlar with slate roof. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of 2-light windows. East window, 3 lights with intersecting tracery. Gabled roof. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Lean-to roof with simple ashlar cornice and gable parapets. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from left has C14 double chamfered arch with corbels. North aisle similar of 3-window range. Gabled porch between windows one and 2 from right has ashlar gable parapets with finial and 2 corbels, probably reset. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square headed windows, gabled roof with simple ashlar cornice, gable parapet and finial. West tower probably C14, originally ashlar. Pairs of 2-light bell chamber openings with transoms to each face of upper stage. Clock immediately below on west face has moulded stone surround. Castellated ashlar parapet. Recessed spire by W. Slater 1859-60 in limestone ashlar has 3 tiers of lucarnes and crockets. Interior: Double chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays of double chamfered pointed arches. 3 bays of south arcade are early C13 with quatrefoil piers and stiff leaf capitals with faces between leaves. North arcade is C14 with quatrefoil piers and double chamfered arches; the lower section of the piers has been replaced by a large plinth probably in C18, C19 roofs. Stained glass, south chancel 1872 by Lavers, Barraund and Westlake. Bellfry window by Clayton and Bell. Stained glass, also in south aisle. Monuments: Brass west end of north aisle, reset. John 01yver died 1446 and wife. Brass inscription and 2 indents opposite. Oval tablet above to Reverend John Mastic died 1805, East end of north aisle tablet with drapery to Richard Herbert died 1790. C17 table known as Cromwells table; reputedly from the now demolished Shukburgh House as used by the Kings Life Guards before the Battle of Naseby. Large copper ball in north aisle, reputedly holding 60 gallons of ale was brought from Boulogne in 1544 and was taken from stump of spire in 1780. Font, circular late C12, blank arcading with flower decoration. Stone coffin lid in belfry with traces of decoration,(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p. 309).

Listing NGR: SP6889278133

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 309

National Grid Reference: SP 68892 78133

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 01:44:00.