List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, WEST BLAST HOUSE OF SERIES OF FOUR IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

List entry Number: 1342984

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, WEST BLAST HOUSE OF SERIES OF FOUR IN MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360839

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/193 BRIDGE STREET 29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, WEST BLAST HOU SE OF SERIES OF FOUR IN MAGAZINE ENCLO SURE

GV II* Blast house, also known as a traverse. 1807-11. Flemish bond red brick with gauged brick arches, and with dentilled eaves to side walls; stone-coped kneelers to slate roof.

PLAN: Rectangular plan, aligned north-south, the central blast house being filled with earth and flanked at each end by a small office and Shifting Room, for changing into specialist magazine clothing. Only the southern sections of the latter survive, those to north having been demolished. EXTERIOR: Gabled south elevations have segmental arches over central doorway and flanking windows (originally beaded 6-panel door and 6/6-pane sash).

INTERIOR: blast house originally earth-filled, and retains pegged king post roof. The interiors of the office/Shifting Rooms originally had boarded or panelled walls. Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. Although the magazines (drawings of 1816 in Royal Engineers Library, W140 (D38), and later plans and drawings also archived there) are smaller in terms of their individual scale than the late 18th century example at Priddy's Hard opposite the naval dock at Portsmouth (listed grade I and like the Weedon examples built to the distinctive British double-vaulted plan), as a group they had no rival until the suite of traversed magazines were built at Bull Point, Plymouth, in the 1850s (Scheduled Ancient Monument). Catenary arches were first used at Tipnor in the 1790s and then Colonel D'Arcy's magazine at Upnor. The use of traverses makes the group highly innovatory in terms of its planning, blast walls of earth (sometimes faced in brick) being henceforth a characteristic features of magazine complexes. These traverses have also uniquely assumed an architectural form.

For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62171 59558

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 01:33:34.