List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS TO MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE

List entry Number: 1342983

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS TO MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360833

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/187 BRIDGE STREET 06-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALLS TO MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE (Formerly listed as: BRIDGE STREET LOWER WEEDON MAGAZINE ENCLOSURE WALLS)

GV II* Walls. 1807-11. Red brick in Flemish with intermediate piers and moulded stone coping. Entrances at north end, facing east and west, inserted when rail siding brought into Magazine Compound after 1899. Bastion-like projections originally stood at each corner of the Compound. Lean-to structures, from which portcullis gates could be operated, at east and west ends of enclosure, lit by 3 segmental-headed openings and accessed by round-headed doorway and external brick steps to stone-coped balustrade. The portcullis gates to the east rise in a sandstone slot against the perimeter wall, the winding drum being set between pulleys on either side of its supporting trussed timber trestle. The structure at the west end has been modified by the infilling of the entrance and partial collapse.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62252 59510

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 02:53:43.