List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALL, SOUTH EAST AND SOUTH WEST BASTIONS AND GATE PIERS TO SOUTH EAST

List entry Number: 1342980

Location

FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALL, SOUTH EAST AND SOUTH WEST BASTIONS AND GATE PIERS TO SOUTH EAST, BRIDGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityWeedon Bec

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1982

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360820

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEDEN BEC

1732/16/174 BRIDGE STREET 01-AUG-82 LOWER WEEDON (West side) FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, OUTER WALL, SO UTH EAST AND SOUTH WEST BASTIONS AND G ATE PIERS TO SOUTH EAST (Formerly listed as: BRIDGE STREET LOWER WEEDON ENCLOSURE WALLS AND BASTIONS)

GV II* Enclosure walls, south-east and south-west bastions and gate-piers to south-east. Flemish bond red brick with stone coping to walls and stone-capped gate piers; C20 gates. Ten casemates built in groups of four and six along each side of the angle formed by the corner of the perimeter wall, these including a casemate at each end (probably for storage of artillery pieces) that flank a wall that spans the angle and is pierced by a central segmental-arched entrance. Semi-circular vaults to casemates, which are surmounted by bomb-proof layer of sand and gravel capped by a layer of bricks and finally a stone-flag walkway, which has low parapet with stone coping and is accessed by ramps with stone-paved stairs. Pintle hinges and fittings for doors. Some original wooden slatted doors, hung from pintle hinges mounted in stone anchor blocks Square concrete base in corner for anti-aircraft machine guns installed early in World War II. Loopholes, which are probably later insertions ordered in 1831, enlarged in late C19. Complete section of enclosure walls to southern perimeter of site, and extending northwards to meet the East Lodge and West Lodge; gate piers flank entrance to south-east.

Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. For full details see description of Storehouse No 2.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 62713 59476

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 12:14:40.