List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1342776

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkBroadlandDistrict AuthorityBooton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-May-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 12 SW BOOTON THE STREET (south side) 4/9 Church of St Michael 10.5.61 and All Angels. (formerly listed as Church of St Michael)

GV II*

Parish church entirely rebuilt in late C19 by the Reverend Whitwell Elwin, rector of Booton c.1850-1900. Flint with limestone dressings and detail, steeply pitched plain tiled roofs. Twin diagonally-set west towers, nave, chancel, north porch, south vestry, all in an eccentric French Gothic style. Window tracery generally geometric; bays divided by staged buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. Gables parapetted and coped and surmounted by elaborate crocketted pinnacles, that on the west gable in three tiers with blank arcading. West towers with elongated blank arcading in their lower stages surmounted by pierced frieze and crocketted corner pinnacles. Tall sound openings with ogival heads. Moulded strings and eaves in limestone; pierced stone eaves parapet on chancel. Set-back buttresses at corners of nave and chancel. Priest's door in south wall of chancel With arch of five orders and ogival crocketted hood surmounted by square label with quatrefoiled spandrels. Doorway surmounted by elaborately-carved niche on clustered shafts. Fine west doorway and window between towers. In the north porch, set in the east wall, a fine C14 Virgin and Child (headless) discovered during Elwin's rebuilding works. Interior: spherical triangular opening above chancel arch. False hammer-beam roof over chancel with arch- braces on wall-shafts. Angel hammer-beam roof over nave with wall-posts on corbels with stiff-leaf carving. Linenfold dado panelling around nave walls. Good C19 glass in nave and chancel. Good C19 pulpit and fittings.

Listing NGR: TG1229822386

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 12298 22386

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 11:15:42.