List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND THE HOLY ANGELS

List entry Number: 1342667

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND THE HOLY ANGELS, HIGH STREET
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND THE HOLY ANGELS, ST MICHAEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SandwellMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Aug-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219313

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP SANDWELL MB HIGH STREET/ST MICHAEL STREET

West Bromwich 14/102 Church of St Michael and the Holy Angels 1.8.74 II

Roman Catholic Church. 1875 - 7 by Dunn and Hansom, with tower and spire added 1911 by Edmund Kirby. Red brick with some stone dressings and tile roof. The chancel is at the south-west end, but for purposes of description the orientation is assumed to be conventional. Comprises a north-west tower, a nave with clerestory and continuous chancel, north and south aisles, and north and south chapels. The west wall has triple stepped lancets with stone heads and sills, and a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts. The tower has clasping buttresses to the lower stage, angle buttresses above, and corner pinnacles. The spire is of stone. The bell openings are each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a pointed head. The north doorway is moulded and pointed. The aisles are of five bays, with alternate paired lancets and round windows. The clerestory has single lancets. The transeptal chapels each have two lancets with a round window above. At the east end is a rose window. Interior: three-bay nave arcades with pointed moulded brick arches springing from painted round columns with moulded capitals. The roof has scissor-braced rafters. West organ gallery. The chancel is divided from the nave by an arch-braced truss carried on slim engaged shafts. The chancel roof is boarded. East window contains glass of late C19 date. (VCH, p 61).

Listing NGR: SP0044491209

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Stafford - Date: 1976 - Volume: 17 - Page References: 61

National Grid Reference: SP 00444 91209

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 06:45:36.