List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BARN ADJOINING ON NORTH CHAPEL FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1342230

Location

BARN ADJOINING ON NORTH, CHAPEL END LANE
CHAPEL FARMHOUSE, 7, CHAPEL END LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireDacorumDistrict AuthorityTring Rural

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Apr-1985

Date of most recent amendment: 29-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355754

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRING RURAL CHAPEL END LANE SP 9013 (South side) Wilstone 10/118 No. 7 (Chapel Farmhouse) and 23.4.85 barn adjoining on N (Formerly listed as No 7 (Chapel End Farm) and barn adjoining on North) GV II*

House, sometime a vicarage, and adjoining barn. C16 N and W wings, early C18 main range, windows in S front opened c.1962. Timber framed N and W wings and barn with weatherboarding, N wing red brick cased, red brick main range with hipped slate roof and plaster coved eaves cornice. Old red tile roofs to wings. A fine L-shaped early Georgian 2-storeys house facing E with a garden front facing S incorporating a 2 storeys older W range and N range with kitchen open to the roof. 5 windows symmetrical E front with central door and tall sash windows with 6/6 panes and box sashes under gauged flat arches. Similar S garden front mostly of blind recesses but with old ovolo-moulded glazing bars in one window. Contemporary interior with moulded-string early C18 stair at rear with turned balusters, raised and fielded panelling, shutters, and 2-panel doors, H_ hinges, and case locks. The N range has kitchen and scullery formed from a single stone-floored room open to roof, with open fireplace partly infilled and C17 door about 3M above floor to right of chimney. This is on a winding staircase in the older part of the house with old moulded plank doors with iron bands. (VCH(1908)282a).

Listing NGR: SP9043513780

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1908 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 282

National Grid Reference: SP 90435 13780

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 03:49:51.