List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART

List entry Number: 1342045

Location

ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, NORTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477266

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details





TQ 20 SE

HOVE

5/10005

NORTON ROAD RC Church of the Sacred Heart

II

Roman Catholic Church. 1880-7 by John Crawley and J S Hansom. Main benefactors the Rev George Alfred Oldham and Charles Willock Dawes. North aisle enlarged 1914-15. Rock-faced limestone and slate roofs. Details mainly of c.1300. Chancel, nave, long North porch entered from the east, north aisle with Lady Chapel to the east, south aisle with StJoseph's Chapel to the east, north-west baptistry, link to the presbytery. EXTERIOR. Chancel with three-sided apse, tall two-light windows, each under its own gable, and low, gabled buttresses below window level. Lady Chapel (north) with 5-light Perpendicular window. Roof ridge continuous over nave and chancel. Clerestory. West window in a spherical triangle and containing elaborate tracery of quatrefoils and mouchettes. INTERIOR. Vaulted chancel with tall wall-shafts. Vault paintings on canvas by N. Westlake and depicting the Coronation of the Virgin, archangels, John the Baptist and St Stephen. Windows with glass by Westlake (as elsewhere in the church, the window over the south-west doorway is Westlake's last work). Reredos running the full length of the apse with carving of the Agony in the Garden (south), the Crucifixion (north) with depictions of the Instruments of the Passion in the panels between. Lady Chapel approached from the north aisle through two arches with an open, cusped mandorla in the spandrel; reredos with carvings of the Assumption, Virgin and Child, and the Visitation, below altar with carving of the Nativity. South Chapel with altar with carvings of scenes from the life of St Joseph. Nave with five wide bays, a narrow bay and, beyond this a canted gallery with open balustrade and placed under a tall arch. Clustered piers with eight shafts and octagonal bases and capitals, arches with hollow chamfers and hood-moulds; in the valleys of the arches angels playing various musical instruments. Clerestory of two single lights per bay and stone wall shafts between each window. Florid pulpit with mosaic foliage panels and carvings of St Peter and St Paul at the angles. Keeled roof over the nave. Alabaster font bearing symbols of the Evangelists alternating with traceried panels; round the walls of the baptistry carvings of baptismal scenes and an inscription ('Suffer the little children ...'). HISTORY. Established as a mission from St Mary Magdalen, Upper North Street, Brighton in 1876. Funds were available under the will of Fr George Alfred Oldham (d.1875) who had built St Mary Magdalen (1861-4) and the adjoining school. The original site was between Third and Fourth Avenues but was changed to Norton Road in 1880 in an agreement with the West Brighton Estate Company. The church was built in two phases; the east parts are of 1880-1. The westward completion was in 1887 when the benefactor was Mr C W Dawes, a former Anglican clergyman. He spent ?5,000 which included furnishings and an organ by Bevington. The North aisle and chapel were rebuilt and widened in 1914-15 (contract price ?1,700). A good-quality late-C19 Catholic church. Bibliography: Canon J 0 Connor, Sacred Heart Church 1881-1981 [1981].



Listing NGR: TQ2796505458

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Connor, J O, Sacred Heart Church 1881-1981, (1981)

National Grid Reference: TQ 27965 05458

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 12:58:51.