List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES, THE DOWN HOUSE

List entry Number: 1341973

Location

STABLES, THE DOWN HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireForest of DeanDistrict AuthorityRedmarley D'abitot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 125958

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDMARLEY D'ABITOT - SO 73 SE

6/140 Stables, The Down House (formerly listed with Down 2.10.54 House)

GV II

Stable block: 1823 by Thomas Rickman for George Dowdeswell. Rendered brick lined as ashlar in centre, English garden wall bond brickwork to wings and rear, painted on garden face: slate roof. 'U' plan, 2-storey, 3-bay centre, 4-window wings, lofted on left, single storey on right. Symmetrical facade to garden: central carriage opening; either side plinth, unfluted Doric pilasters flanking opening and at corners of block, sash window between. Above plain frieze and cornice, also forming head to carriage opening: low, plain parapet over, carried up in centre with moulded cornice each side and semi-circular-headed centre. Behind circular cupola, 8 plain Doric columns with cornice, lead dome and iron weathervane. Hipped roof. Set back and lower, each side, wings: plain plinth, sash window, rubbed brick arch, flat soffit to eaves, hipped roof, chimney on ridge against centre block. Right return 4 dummy windows, rubbed brick arches, plinth and roof as front: left similar but one window a sash. Centre carriageway painted brickwork; doors pivoted bottom, top pin hinge survives each side with stone hinge block. Cambered brick arch on pilasters each side: behind double boarded doors to upper floors each side, cambered brick arches; below at rear openings each side to porches, cambered brick arch to courtyard. Internally, 5 looseboxes on right, boarded walls, iron grilles in top part partitions, plastered ceiling with moulded cornice. Left wing in 2 rooms, 2 looseboxes and tying for 2, with loft over; originally designed for ceiling as right. King-post roof trusses, iron bolts, 1 pair purlins, plank ridge. Greek revival, designed with house (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SO7695730480

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 76957 30480

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 04:32:10.