List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1341839

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityGreat Amwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355876

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GREAT AMWELL ST JOHNS LANE TL 3712 (south side) Great Amwell village 12/14 Parish Church of St John the Baptist 24.1.67

GV II*

Church. Cll rectangular nave and smaller apsidal chancel, C15 W- tower, N-vestry 1836, restoration 1866 for Rev. Richard Parrott. Uncoursed knapped flint with stone dressings. Chancel part- rendered. Red tile roofs with cut-back gable and lower tiling over E-apse. Red brick vestry with gabled tiled roof. Taller small heating chamber flint-faced in angle with nave. Stumpy octagonal tiled spire behind battlements of buttressed 3-stage tower. Original Norman low round headed chancel arch of 2 stepped orders on simple imposts, flanked by later squints. Original window on N wall of chancel. Other windows Lancet and Perp.. Triple E-window inserted 1856. Original C15 traceried W- door and tower arch. C15 crown-post roof to chancel exposed. Recess for road-stair next Jacobean pulpit said to be a 3-decker from Croydon Palace presented by Robert Mylne and cut down in 1866 restoration. Early C19 wall monument by Hopper. 5-bay arch-braced timber roof to nave from C19. W window by Kempe. C14 and C15 brasses. A small church of great antiquity retaining its Norman apse, found in only 2 other churches in county, and features of outstanding interest. An essential landmark in this hillside village and an important element in the landscaped setting of The New River to the N. (RCHM (1911) 93, 95: VCH (1912) 418: Pevsner (1977) 150: Mylne (1973) 1-5).

Listing NGR: TL3718212508

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 418
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 150
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 21 Hertfordshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 37182 12508

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 02:34:55.