List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1341457

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BURY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityDatchworth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 356131

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DATCHWORTH BURY LANE TL 21 NE (Southwest side) Datchworth 3/26 Church of All Saints 24.11.66 GV II*

Parish church. Late C12 or early C13 origins. Late C13 N aisle added. Late C14 tower added. Later medieval chancel rebuilding and S porch added. Altered 1824-5. Restored, tower raised and spire added 1869-70 by A.W. Blomfield. Further restorations 1886 and 1901 including addition of vestry and organ bay. Flint rubble, largely cement rendered. Stone dressings. Tiled roofs. Shingled spire. 4 bay nave and N aisle. Smaller, narrower 2 bay chancel. W tower, S porch, N vestry. Chancel: E window of 3 cinquefoiled lights, square head in 4 centred arched recess. S elevation has a C19 plank and muntin priest's door with flanking square headed 2 light windows of unequal size, 4 centred arched headed lights in deep embrasures. Plinth and dentilled brick eaves. Taller nave to S has 2 cinquefoiled light square headed windows flanking porch. Porch is gabled with sawtooth tiled roof. Outer chamfered 4 centred arch with a blind slit window in brick coped gable parapet with kneelers. Blind slit windows in returns. Inner neo-Norman entrance arch with shafted jambs, double round arch with outer chevron moulding, impost blocks. Relatively large W tower: early lower stage has moulded stone double plinth. W entrance blocked with heavily moulded 2 centred arch. Above this a 3 light window with a pointed arched head, late C19 tracery, mask stopped hood mould. 3 stage diagonal buttresses. String course to upper part of lower stage with clock to S. Cornice to C19 belfry, exposed flint with stone quoining and a stone band at impost level of 2 cinquefoiled light openings with quatrefoils in 2 centred heads. Corbelled cornice to tall splay-footed spire with hipped and louvred lucarnes, weather-vane. N aisle is exposed flint and stone, knapped flint to E. Towards E end a 2 cinqueroiled light C15 window, deep embrasure, square hood. Towards W end a late C19 2 light window with a quatrefoil in a pointed arched head. Later C19 brick buttresses with gabled heads added to centre and E. Diagonal 3 stage buttress at W angle. Similar late C19 2 light windows on gable ends of N aisle. Sprocket eaves. Gabled vestry to N of chancel has a square 2 light lattice window with a sham timber framed gable, slate roof. Lean-to organ bay to W. Interior: late C13 4 bay arcade from nave to N aisle has 3 octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals, double hollow chamfered order in 2 centred arches. Responds to inner order only have detached Purbeck marble shafts with moulded bases and foliate capitals. Late medieval 2 centred chancel arch, triple moulded, responds to inner order have shafts with caps, damaged bases. Tall late C14 3 centred tower arch, triple moulded, semi-octagonal responds to inner order with caps and bases. N aisle windows have moulded medieval rear arches. Nave roof: C15 arch braced collar beam trusses, moulded braces and double purlins, double row of curved windbraces. Later chancel roof has small moulded arched braces to collar beams. N aisle reroofed 1886 with timber bracing inserted to support aisle arcade. On inside of N aisle E wall are 3 small niches and a bracket. C15 font, octagonal. stem and bowl, trefoiled panelled sides, embattled edges, broach stops at foot. Large oak chest, probably C17, with 3 locks. Late C19 Gothic chancel fittings. In nave S wall a recess with a restored 2 centred arched head with a label inside which is a C14 coffin slab with a raised floriated cross. Chancel N wall, plain marble epitaph with base and cornice, to W. Hawtayne, d.1747. Similar late C18 epitaph on chancel S wall. Early C19 E window with 3 Old Testament scenes was removed from Church of St. Andrew and St. Mary, Watton at Stone C.P. (q.v.). Elsewhere late C19 glass. Outside nave S wall has affixed to it an epitaph to Rev C.W. Johnson, d.1828, his wife and Alice Linton, d.1824, W. Hitch, mason, Hertford. The church is on a large moated site which included the original Bury. (East Herts Archaeological Society Transactions, 1902, p.68: RCHM 1910: VCH 1912: Pevsner 1977: T.O. Beachcroft and W.B. Emms, Five Hide Village, 1984).

Listing NGR: TL2677419263

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Beachcroft, T O and Emms, W B - Title: Five Hide Village - Date: 1984
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society - Date: 1902 - Journal Title: Transactions of the East Hertfordshire Archaeological Society - Page References: 68
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, A - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hertford - Date: 1912
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977

National Grid Reference: TL 26774 19263

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:07:46.