List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RODMARTON MANOR

List entry Number: 1341402

Location

RODMARTON MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityRodmarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129447

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RODMARTON RODMARTON VILLAGE ST 99 NW

6/148 Rodmarton Manor

4.5.52

GV I Large country house. 1909-1926, for the Hon Claud Biddulph, by Ernest Barnsley and supervised briefly after his death by Sidney Barnsley. All materials locally obtained, both externally and internally, and hand worked by local craftsmen. Mainly coursed and dressed stone on offset plinth with flush quoins, stone slate roof with coped gables, large grouped flues to scattered stacks, mainly either diagonally-set squares or round and polygonal with decorative fillets. Built partly round a large circular grassed courtyard to the north, with a main block with canted side wings of different lengths and a smaller courtyard service range to the north-east, the latter now converted to flats. Mostly 2 storeys and attic, courtyard range of single storey and attic. North front has large central projecting gabled porch bay with depressed Tudor- arch moulded doorway and stone monogram enclosed in raised section of string course, long 3-light stone mullion and transom above with 2 transoms. Fenestration generally stone mullions at attic level and mullion and transoms below, all ovolo-moulded with leaded iron casements. Two gables flanking on each side, with polygonal bays masking angles as building returns towards north; string course along most of north front above first floor in twisted design, straight offset string course along main block above ground floor. North-west wing contains chapel with open twin-arched loggia above to west and separate porch with hipped roof and 4 steps up, top step curved. This wing and north-east wing slightly lower than central block, north-east wing of 3 gabled bays having central doorway with arched hood, flanking 2-light stone mullions as side lights and flanking canted bays. Former service wing to east has 2 steep gables on west side, on to large grass entrance court, each with louvred stone vent in apex and stone mullion casements below. Courtyard side to east, mostly in rubble stone with flush quoins, is oldest part of house and is formed by 'U'-shape south range and straght north range, both with dormers. South range has small glazed lantern with hipped roof and ball finial to west arm. North range has large central gable with lantern, dovecote perches in gable above large cambered timber lintel, and flanking open loggias each with central wide cylindrical rubble stone column. South front of main central block has 2 projecting end bays, similar fenestration to north front, with 2 transoms to ground floor windows. Throughout the building are decorative lead rainwater pipes and hoppers with embossed animal and flower motifs and occasionally with date and initial B, possibly the work of F.W. Troup. Interior is largely intact and contains all original fittings as well as many pieces of furniture by the Barnsley brothers, Ernest Gimson, Peter Waals and others. The house features in many books on the Arts and Crafts movement, as well as articles in Country Life - Vols LXIX (1931), and LXIV,(1978 - two articles by Clive Aslet).

Listing NGR: ST9431997717

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 64, (1978)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 69, (1931)
Other
Part 16 Gloucestershire,

National Grid Reference: ST 94319 97717

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 07:47:51.