List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

List entry Number: 1341338

Location

CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityShipton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129207

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 01 NW SHIPTON SHIPTON OLIFFE

5/102 Church of St. Oswald 26.1.61 GV I

Anglican parish church. C12 and C13, restored by H.A. Prothero, 1903-4. Coursed limestone rubble, more finely dressed stone in east gable end of chancel and in nave north wall, stone slate roof. Nave, south transept with porch against west wall and chancel. C13 south transept with contemporary buttresses with offsets at west gable end, trefoil-headed lancet in west wall, two square-topped lancets (formerly pointed) in gable ends, Decorated 2-light east window with hood with scroll stops. Chancel south wall; small C13 lancet left, early 2-light Decorated window with scroll moulded hood with an order of dogtooth ornament within and stops in the form of human heads, one male, one female. East window comprises two lancets, recessed within three orders of continuous cylindrical moulding. Simple pointed hoodmoulds originally shared a common stop, probably in the shape of a small shell, similar to the two remaining stops. Chancel north wall; three C13 lancets, one with trefoiled head, one with hood. Nave north wall; two 2-light stone-mullioned windows one within blocking of C12 doorway with plain semi-circular tympanum and shallow hoodmould. West gable end; central clamp buttress rising up to bellcote. Single cinquefoil-headed lights either side of buttress with hoods with shields with letters and date reading 'AM/DG/19/04'. Nave south wall; small C20 two-light stone-mullioned window. Porch (probably rebuilt C20) Studded plank door incorporating part of early door (probably formerly within porch), within almost flat C20 Tudor- arched surround. C20 door within porch with fillets, within pointed flat-chamfered surround with hood. Fine C13 bellcote with 2 pointed bell chambers separated by two tiny bell columns, that on the west dying into the contemporary buttress. Two pinnacles either side of bellcote, the whole being surmounted by a pyramidal capping surmounted by a cross. Flat gable end coping with roll- cross saddles. East facing edge of roof coping at east end of chancel decorated with dogtooth decoration. Interior. Plastered. Pointed C13 chancel arch with C12 jambs. Two pointed arches, with central octagonal pier, dating from early C20 restoration. C19 two bay chancel roof and C19 three bay nave roof. Single bay to wagon roof (formerly plastered to transept). South transept: trefoil-headed piscina in south wall containing stone mortar. Early English rere arcade to south window, trefoiled rere arch to west window. Chancel; fine C14 piscina with trefoil- headed openings on north and west sides separated by a moulded pier, below. Decorated window in south wall, 2 stone slab sedilia right of the rere arch to window continued over sedilia, corbel of a man with a protruding tongue at right-hand end of rere arch. Another man's head corbel (probably not in its original position) left of window. Fine Early English rere arcade to east window with central free standing column with dogtooth decoration. Altar C20 oak with stone mensa. Remains of painted black lettered text with decorative border in red (possibly C17) on south wall between windows. Remains of early painted decalogue in two parts on nave north wall. Small area of former wall painting possibly representing drapery, left of chancel arch. Painted Royal Arms of 1714-1801 in plaster over chancel arch. C20 panelling in nave, fielded panelling in chancel and transept, sunken panelling with moulded margins and C17 'S'-scroll frieze in sanctuary (reused). Stone flag floor. Octagonal stone font inside south doorway. C20 pews and pulpit. Monuments: west wall of transept; monument to Mary Peachy of Shipton Sollis, died 1772, limestone with carved and painted inscription. Winged cherub's head high-lighted in gold within triangular pediment, painted red roses either side. Margin of inscription panel outlined in green. Consoles painted black below. Single C19 monument on south wall of chancel. C19 stained glass in east window, one light depicting the Virgin Mary the other Saint Thomas. (Brian Taylor, Notes on The Church of St. Oswald, Shipton Oliffe; David Verey, The Buildings of England: The Cotswolds 1979).

Listing NGR: SP0370418543

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Author: Taylor, Brian - Title: Notes on the Church of St Oswald Shipton Oliffe
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds - Date: 1979

National Grid Reference: SP 03705 18540

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 07:59:57.