List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHITTINGTON COURT

List entry Number: 1341326

Location

WHITTINGTON COURT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityWhittington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 129247

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 02 SW WHITTINGTON WHITTINGTON VILLAGE

2/142 Whittington Court 23.1.52 GV I

Manor house. Probably begun by Richard Cotton, died 1556 (q.v. brass in neighbouring church) C16, late C17-early C18, kitchen wing added 1929. Ashlar, stone slate roof. Rectangular plan to C16 range with late C17-early C18 east wing at right angles to main body, C20 kitchen range right of C16 main body (probably on site of former west wing, possibly destroyed by fire). Extension housing stairs in angle between east wing and C16 main body at rear. Entrance front; C16 main body, 3 storeys with 3 gables lit by 3- light metal casements, some with diamond leaded panes and early window glass within hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned surrounds, triangular pediments over each window. Central and left-hand bay lit by 4-light hollow-chamfered, stone-mullioned casements with transoms and king mullions, similar window lighting ground floor of central gable, with rectangular leaded panes. Early studded panelled door within finely moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with bag stops. Four-light hollow-chamfered stone-mullioned casement above. Band and string over ground and first floor windows. Right-hand gable may originally have marked the centre of the building with 2-storey porch (now demolished) C19, 1½ storey extension at front of right-hand gable conceals a plank door within moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with panelled spandrels. Early studded plank door with flat-chamfered shouldered surround in left- hand wall of C19 extension. Two, 3 and 4-light stone-mullioned casements, one with transom, lighting front of kitchen range. Late C17-early C18 east wing projects forwards slighty left. Eight- light, 2 storey canted bay with transom and king mullion. Hollow and stepped mouldings to mullions. String above ground floor window, band above first floor window. East side of west wing 4- windowed, all 4-light stone-mullioned casements with king mullions. Most casements with rectangular leaded panes. Two hipped roof dormers, one with 2-light casement the other with 3-light casement, both with leaded panes. Gabled left-hand wall of stairs projection in angle left; lit by 3-light stone-mullioned windows with transoms, 3-light stone-mullioned casement upper right. String and' bands stepped under and over windows. Band and string over first floor windows continued for short distance along south facing wall (in slightly different plane to remainder of wall). Segmental rainwater head dated and initialled 'T.T. 1763' (Thomas Tracey). Gable left of rainwater head with 3-light hollow-chamfered stone- mullioned casement towards apex, one light with diamond leaded panes. Oriel window below with hollow-moulded stone-mullions. C19 plank door within finely moulded 'Tudor'-arched surround with panelled spandrels to ground floor. C19 open-fronted single 2-bay summer house/store with circular stone dividing pier dividing bays right in angle between west wing and stairs projection. Roof of main body; saddleback gable end coping, pointed finials, axial, lateral and gable end stacks. Early C18 hipped roof in east wing. Interior: hall contains C16-C17 'Tudor'-arched fireplace with moulded surround and defaced stops, similar C19 fireplace with moulded mantelshelf. C18 fielded panelling within entrance hall. Fine late C17 open well staircase with turned balusters and newels with strapwork enrichment, formerly with pendants and finials. Dog gate with splat balusters. Magnificent carved stone Renaissance chimney'piece of two superimposed orders in Artisan Mannerist style in library; large gadrooned consoles either side of 'Tudor'-arched fireplace, Doric order above, moulded overmantel with oval strapwork enriched cartouche at centre flanked by inverted splayed pilasters with Ionic capitals (fireplace may not be in its original position). Stylized foliate frieze above room at rear of east wing contains C17 'Tudor'-arched fireplace with moulded surround and shelf supported on brackets with pendant drops. Two similar fireplaces in upstairs rooms, two of which also contain corner cupboards incorporating nulled C17 panelling and fluted newels. Numerous tall round-headed stone archways with keystone and imposts throughout house. Rafter and purlin roof open to top foor. History: House built by John Cotton in 1556 on earlier moated site. Subsequently passed to Sir John Denham, died 1669, Surveyor General to Charles II, it then passed through the female line to the Earls of Derby and by the mid-late C18 belonged to Thomas Tracey, died 1770, (owner of Sandywell Park q.v.). Misses Timbrell and Mrs. Rebecca Lighbourne inherited the property but left no heir, the house passing to Mr. Walter Lawrence Morris and subsequently to his descendants who adopted the name Lawrence. (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979, and Gloucestershire Countryside 1955-58, Vol IX, p 177-8 and p 185.

Listing NGR: SP0129220656

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire The Cotswolds, (1979)
'Gloucestershire Countryside' in Gloucestershire Countryside, (1958), 177-178
'Gloucestershire Countryside' in Gloucestershire Countryside, (1958), 185

National Grid Reference: SP 01292 20656

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 07:01:52.