List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1341122

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityAdlestrop

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130133

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADLESTROP DAYLESFORD VILLAGE SP 22 NW 4/21 Church of St. Peter 25.8.60 GV I Anglican parish church of Daylesford parish (now part of Adlestrop parish) 1860 built by J. L. Pearson for Harman Grisewood incorporating elements from earlier church on same site. Coursed squared and dressed limestone, snecked lower courses, red sandstone columns flanking exterior openings. Stone slate, limestone roof to spire and turret. Cruciform plan; nave with projecting south porch, central tower, north and south transepts, vestry in angle between north transept and chancel. French Gothic style. Raking plinth and continuous shoulder-height string around entire church. Nave; clasping buttresses at east end with quatrefoil and foliate decoration. East window comprises two separate pointed lights with large quatrefoil above all set back with segmental-pointed surround. Continuous string stepped up below window with blind quatrefoil decoration below. Plank door with decorative hinges on north within roll-moulded pointed-arched surround with nail head decoration either side of moulding. Two sandstone pillars either side with foliate capitals. Continuous string with dog tooth decoration forms pointed hood over. Boot scrapers either side of doorway. 3-light window left with bar tracery dividing small pointed arched lights with 2 quatrefoils and trefoil light above, within pointed-arched surround with roll moulding at top. Eaves cornice with billet decoration. South side; window right of porch; 2 separate small pointed lights with single large quatrefoil. Porch with angle buttresses. 2 pairs of small trefoil-headed lights flanked by sandstone columns lighting side walls. Pointed arched entrance flanked by paired sandstone columns with foliate capitals, dogtooth decoration either side of columns. Continuous dripmould forming pointed hood over, chip- carved star decoration below hood. Buttressed south transept; east window comprises 2 trefoil-headed lights flanked by sandstone columns with foliate heads, quatrefoil above each light, delicate foliate decoration over pointed arched surround. String with quatrefoil decoration below at eaves height continued across gable end except where interrupted by windows. Large quatrefoil within circular surround above. North transept, north wall decorated with blind arcade of 5 trefoil-headed arches each flanked by sandstone columns with foliate capitals. Arcade pierced by 2 small pointed lights either side of central blind arch. Large rose window above with quatrefoil at centre, small sandstone columns radiate out from quatrefoil each flanking a trefoil-headed light. Circular stair turret in angle between nave and north transept with plank door with decorative hinges, flanked by sandstone columns with foliate limestone heads. Narrow pointed- arch rises from capitals with cinquefoil cusping at top. Pointed canopy over with engaged foliate finial at top forming part of a foliate string, circular stair turret with slit lights rises above. String with billet decoration above blind arcade of small pointed arches with engaged sandstone columns at top of turret. 2 small slit lights with trefoil heads set within blind arcading, pointed upright leaf decoration above. Chancel/vestry; clasping buttresses, 3-light east window divided by limestone shafts, flanked by engaged red sandstone columns with finely carved foliate capitals. Mouldings of capitals continued left and right as string with naturalistic floral decoration griping dragonlike beasts where string terminates. Blind trefoils above each light with foliate central bosses. Pointed canopy over each with engaged finials at apexes. Each canopy flanked by decorated engaged colonettes with clasping dragonlike beasts at base. 2 pointed lancets with single quatrefoil above to vestry lower right. Vestry with chimney projecting from north wall with cross-'gabled' stone chimney. Plank door with decorative hinges flanked by sandstone columns within roll-moulded pointed arch right of chimney. Boot scraper left of door. Tower; 2-light belfry windows on all 4 sides flanked by sandstone columns with foliate capitals in deep reveals. Quatrefoil opening within circular surround above. Gablet above each window with finial. Engaged columns with foliate heads at corners of tower. Band with decoration based on trefoil at junction of tower and pyramidal roof. Pyramidal stone-spire with bands of 'fish scale' decoration. Conical roof to stair turret with similar decoration. Flat gable-end coping with upright cross finials to nave, chancel, transepts and porch. Stone ridge tiles with upright leaf decoration. Wooden guttering with lead lining with decorative margin. Interior: Porch: bench seats, paired small pointed-arched windows flanked by sandstone columns matching those on exterior. Carved stone Agnus Dei between left-hand pair, large bird sheltering two smaller birds between right-hand pair. Coloured tile floor, heavy timber roof with nailhead decoration. C19 studded plank door with decorative hinges within flat-chamfered C13 almost round-arched surround flanked by keel moulded columns with stiff leaf capitals. Hollow-moulded and keel-moulded hood with foliate stops. Segmental-pointed arch on interior face of arch with roll-moulded and chevron decoration. Segmental-pointed surround to north door opposite with ogee moulding at top and engaged columns with foliate capitals either side. Pointed arch between nave and crossing. Brown marble column against inside face of arch with foliate limestone capital, green marble columns with foliate capitals in stepped reveals either side. Similar arches to transepts and chancel. Quatrefoils upper right and left of all 4 archways. C19 plank door with decorative hinges from north transept into vestry within trefoil headed surround. Vestry; blocked partially restored, C12 round-headed arch with imposts in wall dividing vestry from chancel, blocked segmental-pointed arch formerly opening into chancel right. Small fireplace in north wall. Central free-standing marble columns behind west window supporting bar tracery with central quatrefoil within circle. All other window surrounds and arcading match those on exterior but with flanking columns in pink or grey marble. Stained glass windows throughout; east and west windows by Wailes, other windows by Clayton and Bell. Foliate cornice above blind arcading on north and south walls of sanctuary. Chip-carved decoration within repeated semi-circles above cusped inner arches of east window. Geometrical multi- coloured mosaics in white, brown, green and black marble at east end below east window and below arcading on north and south walls. Seat in form of recess partly in limestone set into south wall. Continuous string course c2m above ground continued around interior of church and columns. Geometric coloured tile flooring. Pointed heavy-timber roof with braced collar, some principal rafters with billet decoration. Stone barrel-vaulted roof to chancel, wood herringbone pattern barrel-vault to north transept. Scissor-braced roof to south transept. Fittings: C19 ten-sided stone font at east end with marble colonnettes around base, wooden lid with foliate wrought iron decoration. Ornate circular stone pulpit with biblical scenes and foliate and incised decoration in north-east corner of nave. Ornate wrought iron screens dividing crossing from transepts with cinquefoil headed arch towards east forming entrance to each transept respectively, 4 trefoil-headed arches east of entrances with highly ornate foliate, gilded and painted cast ironwork. 2 candelabra from each screen, original wrought iron wall-hung candelabra in nave. Monuments etc.; brass plaque to Harman Grisewood patron of the church, died 1871 at west end. North wall of nave; 2 white marble plaques one recording the restoration/rebuilding of the original church on the site in 1816 by Warren Hastings and the subsequent building of the present church on the same site. White marble monument to Warren Hastings, died 1818 above north door. White marble monument to Anna Maria Apollonia died 1837 right. White marble monument to General Sir Charles Imoff below. One C17 and one C18 recumbent stone ledgers in north transept. Small brass plaque to Niel Makepeace, died 1708 and Elizabeth his wife died 1718 in west wall of south transept. Recumbent ledger with inset with fine brass depicting William Gardiner of Lagham, Surrey, died 1632 with inscription plaque below figure and inset brass inscription around margin. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds (1979) and A Quiney, John Loughborough Pearson pp 59- 60 (1977).

Listing NGR: SP2429525893

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Quiney, A - Title: John Loughborough Pearson - Date: 1979 - Page References: 59-60
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 24299 25892

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 10:55:14.