List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1340898

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthorityColn St. Dennis

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 131157

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLN ST DENNIS COLN ROGERS SP 0809 15/133 Church of St Andrew 26.1.61

GV I

Anglican parish church. C11, C12, C13. Late Perpendicular. Limestone rubble with dressed stone quoins; some squared and dressed limestone at the east end of the chancel; stone slate roof. Nave with projecting south porch and west tower incorporated within the west end; chancel. C11 nave with simple plinth and long and short quoins except at the north-east corner. Nave south wall; stepped base to lowest quoin stone at the south-east corner; single simple pilaster with C11 mass dial; restored. 3-light pointed C15 window with tracery to the right of the pilaster; pointed 2-light window with quatrefoil and hood with small beasts head stops to the left of the pilaster; C19 plank door within the porch to the left of the latter, within an early C12 surround with engaged nook- shafts with scalloped capitals and a plain segmental tympanum; C13 trefoil-headed lancet to the left of the porch. Single lancet at the west gable end. Nave north wall; single simple pilaster with stepped base; C15 pointed 2-light window with cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil left of the latter; C19 two-light pointed window matching that on the south to the right; blocked north doorway with a late C13 outer face with keeled jamb shafts and a cinquefoil-headed arch with a heavy roll moulding (marking the position of a C11 doorway - see interior). C11 chancel rebuilt at the east end with plain plinth; single plan pilaster on the north wall; small round-headed window cut out of a single stone slab to the left; 3-light Perpendicular east window with stepped hood; two C19 lancet windows to the south wall flanking a C19 plank door with decorative C19 hinges within a C13 basket-headed surround; traces of a C11 pilaster above the doorway. Late Perpendicular 2-stage tower above the west end with single lancet to lower stage on the west side and pointed 2-light belfry windows; string between the two stages interrupted by C19 clock on the west side. Late Perpendicular porch with a pointed-arched entrance with flat- chamfered imposts. Church roof: flat coping to gable ends; C19 Maltese cross finial at the east end of the chancel; C19 panelled roof within porch. Church interior: plastered with 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel. C19 panelled wagon roofs to both; flagged floor to nave and chancel; coloured tile and encaustic tile to sanctuary. Tall, probably C11, round-headed archway with imposts at the rear of the south door. C12 round-headed chancel arch with flat-chamfered imposts with pellet decoration. C19 organ gallery obscures probably C19 tower arch. Recess (with open-sided recess above) for C19 store in north wall of nave. Probably Perpendicular segmental-headed recess in the north wall with a casement-moulded surround with one carved- head stop is probably a tomb recess, or may be an Easter sepulchre. Early C12 tub font with a scalloped base, scraped and refaced 19 inside the south door. C19 pews, lectern, communion rail and altar table. Medieval oak chest at the east end of the nave. C15 five- sided stone pulpit with moulded panels. Monuments: neo-Greek white marble monument to Richard Millington, died 1765 and Jeremiah Millington, died 1796 on the south wall of the chancel by R. Cooke of London; segmental-headed monument to Thomas Hunt of Burford, died 1807 with two urn finials on the north wall. White marble monument to John Millington, died 1817 to the right. Three C19 stained glass windows in the chancel; east window possibly by Hardman. Fragments of C15 glass, including a figure of St. Margaret in the nave. (David Verey, The Buildings of England, Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds; Taylor and Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, P168-170).

Listing NGR: SP0873909685

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 168-170
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)

National Grid Reference: SP 08743 09688

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:00:31.