List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LODGE PARK AND ADJOINING WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1340791

Location

LODGE PARK AND ADJOINING WALLS AND RAILINGS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireCotswoldDistrict AuthoritySherborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Mar-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 130612

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHERBORNE LODGE PARK SP 11 SW 3/174 Lodge Park and adjoining walls and railings 23.1.52 GV I

Former grandstand, now house. Mid C17, altered and extended late C19. Built for John Dutton. Probably designed by John Webb (q.v. Lamport Hall, Northamptonshire) but executed by Valentine Strong of Taynton. Converted into house and extended in 1898 by King, for Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne, further interior alterations undertaken in 1930s. Ashlar with rusticated quoins and moulded plinth. Flat leaded roof to main body. Stone slate roof to game larder. Rectangular main body. Single bay extension of 1898 at rear. Short corridor, open on one side from west to small game larder with square plan set within courtyard wall at rear. Three- bay portico with first floor verandah. Fenestration of main body; cross windows with moulded architraves and square-sectioned architraves. Shallow segmental pediments over ground floor windows either side of entrance portico, moulded cornice continued at same level. Broken triangular pediments over first floor windows. Stone busts of 4 men and one woman set within pediments. Two shell-headed alcoves either side of central window. Balustrade with plain intermediary piers. Portico spanning central 3 bays with 4 banded columns with round-headed arches and rusticated stonework. Parapet matching that above first floor windows. Double part-glazed door with two fielded panels at bottom; within moulded round-headed surround with bag stops and imposts continued as bands either side. Carved keystone and spandrels with stylised foliate decoration. Engaged splat baluster type decoration from impost level to band above door either side of doorway. Single windows to returns of main body. Late C19 extension at rear, 2 storeys. Stone-mullioned cross-windows to ground floor, 2-light stone-mullioned casement to first floor. Two-light stone-mullioned casements with glazing bars at rear. Mid C17 composite stack set back at rear of main body. Later stacks with moulded cappings. Pyramidal roof to game store. Interior; originally comprised two rooms one above the other, the lower room functioning as the hall, the upper room opening onto the balcony. The rooms formerly communicated via a projecting staircase at the north-west corner. The staircase continued upwards to open out via a flat-roofed rectangular access turret onto the roof (now demolished). The interior was divided into two rooms and the upper floor into 3 during the alterations of 1898. The present staircase was inserted in 1930s. On the back wall of the hall were two fireplaces originally surmounted by shell alcoves. The surround of the mid C17 fireplace remains but the overmantel was replaced by a tympanum with the initials 'E.T.S' (Emily Theresa, Lady Sherborne). Double width doorway right of fireplace within stone surround with double bolection moulding with moulded stops and keystone. Reveal above impost level carved to give panelled appearance. Single 6-panel door. Small probably late C19 stone fireplace with bolection moulding within left-hand room. Similar fireplace in an upstairs bedroom. C17 moulded 4- centred arched fireplace with moulded stops and spandrels with raised panels at centre in north wall of upper left-hand room. False ceiling. Subsidiary features; cast-iron railing and ashlar walling. Walls; mid C17, railings probably C19. Railings run for c6m either side of house, boundary subsequently continued as a wall for c20m with intermediary rusticated piers. The wall then returns forwards for c20m terminating in square, banded piers with moulded cappings and ball finials. Similar piers flank openings at corners. Two plank doors within surrounds with moulded architraves in returns. (Property of the National Trust). (David Verey, The Buildings of England; The Cotswolds, 1979; and Country Life, September 26 1963)

Listing NGR: SP1455312272

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 26 September - Date: 1963 - Journal Title: Country Life
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 16 Gloucestershire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Verey, D - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SP 14553 12272

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 06:34:08.