List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1340093

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
GloucestershireTewkesburyDistrict AuthorityBuckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 134789

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUCKLAND BUCKLAND VILLAGE SP 03 NE 2/8 Church of St Michael 4.7.60 GV I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, 1585, C17, restored 1885 by F.S. Waller. Ashlar, upper part north aisle random rubble, porch approaching ashlar, south aisle coursed, squared stone. Roofs lead, porch and chancel stone slate. Nave and aisles, chancel, north porch, west tower. North, entrance facade: 4-stage tower, moulded strings, moulded plinth, angled buttresses to west; trefoil, ogee-headed lancet to bottom 2 stages, 2-light reticulated-tracery window third stage, lights filled boards with slits in upper half; top stage 3-light window with flat head, wooden louvres. Crenellated parapet with corner gargoyles. Three- bay north aisle, plinth, angled buttress to west, square set to - east, 2-light mullioned window each end, ogee-heads to lights, flat head to window, parapet gables. In centre porch, plinth, angled buttresses, double-boarded door with corner fillets, simply- chamfered doorway with hoodmould; above hooded recess; parapet gables back and front with cross-gablet apices, cross on rear gable over aisle roof. Clerestory with three 2-light windows as aisle, parapet gables, bellcote on eastern one. Single lancet left return aisle; lines of earlier nave and chancel roofs on gable. Chancel set back on left, plinth, 2-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould; boarded door, steeply arched opening with carved spandrels, flat hoodmould. Two-light mullioned window with flat head and hoodmould to left. Parapet gable with cross-gablet apex and cross. East end chancel no plinth, break in stonework up right corner. Plain string course at eaves level interrupted by 3-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom window, hoodmould. Above datestone. South side, chancel, two 2-light Perpendicular tracery windows with hoodmoulds, one partly replacing blocked doorway: buttress adjacent to right window. South aisle: at each end, 2- light, flat-headed window with ogee, trefoiled heads to lights, 3- light similar in centre, probably replacing doorway. Small buttress at west end. Clerestory above as on north side. Tower as north facade, but head of bottom window only left, boarded door with light over below. West elevation: on right south aisle, boarded door with double ogee moulding, 4-centre arch, 2-stone head. Half semi-circular-headed window above. To left lowest string from tower matched on projecting main gable in different form, quatrefoil window over, stone offsets above. Tower as north face, bottom stage plain, but with blocked doorway. To left, end nave as right, lancet to aisle. Interior: porch: stone bench seats each side, boarded door, hoodmould to opening; arched-braced collar rafter roof, no ridge member. Church: walls unplastered: Minton-tile floors in walkways, medieval tiles in the south aisle. Nave: 3-bay arcade each side, on south 4-lobed columns, simply moulded capitals and bases: 2-bay similar on north, with plain west bay with no responds. Outline of lower nave roof each end. Holy water stoup by north door; set of quoins to west thereof in north wall. Upper part of stairs to rood screen in south aisle. Nave 4-bay roof, low-pitch tie-beam trusses, carved boss under stump king-post, quatrefoil infill to truss: one pair purlins, square set ridge, all with painted medieval decoration. Aisle roof lean-to, moulded purlins and principal rafters, chamfered rafters. Chancel roof collar rafter with slight braces, at one time plastered. Bench seat in north aisle along wall to west of door, panelled back, fluted frieze (1615), panelled screen to east with turned baluster top; trefoil-headed piscina. To south aisle slightly later similar seat with panelled back, rising up to canopies with corner pendants between windows, fluted frieze. In chancel fielded panelling to walls, with bench seat below, surviving outside communion enclosure, shaped arms to ends of seat. C17 communion rails, spiral turned balusters; carved wooden reredos commemorating C.B. Scott, ob. 1917. Pews partly C16, with moulded top rail and blind tracery to ends. Multi-sided wooden pulpit, with fielded panels: C17 reading desk with fielded panels, spiral balusters to open top. At west end gallery, on 4 Roman Doric pillars, fielded-panel front, breaking forward in centre. Original tiered seats each side of organ; 2 brass C19 candle holders. Stairs from north side, moulded string and rail, turned balusters. Benefactions board and board with Decalogue, each side of gallery. C15 octagonal stone font, quatrefoil to side bowl, blind tracery stem, lead lined. Medieval glass in top east and south-east chancel windows: other glass is greenish and possibly largely C17. Various early C18 and C19 marble wall monuments, that to James Thynne, ob. 1709, particularly fine. C15 cope in case in north aisle. (D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970; ibid, Cotswold Churches, 1976)

Listing NGR: SP0817136006

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Verey, D , The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire 1 The Cotswolds, (1970)
Verey, D, Cotswold Churches, (1976)

National Grid Reference: SP 08173 36007

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Oct-2014 at 11:21:07.