List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH STONEHAM HOUSE

List entry Number: 1340008

Location

SOUTH STONEHAM HOUSE, WESSEX LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135961

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. WESSEX LANE 5239 Swaythling

South Stoneham House SU 41 NW 7/264 14.7.53

II*

2. Built in 1708, almost certainly by Nicholas Hawksmoor. The manor house of South Stoneham was built for Edward Dummer and became a University Hall of Residence after the first world war. There are some alterations of circa 1900. Three storeys red brick with raised rubbed brick band of 9 courses at ground floor level. Similar band and moulded stone cornice at second floor level of cills. Tall attic embracing second floor with moulded stone coping and small central pediment supported on stone triglyphed and modillioned broken entablature. Hipped old tiled roof in 5 hips. Seven original window openings with modern windows on second floor. Nine tall narrow windows with wide frames on first floor, stone cills and deep rubbed arches. Eight windows including 2 on the left-hand side of the door altered in the late C18 and a glazed central door in heavy moulded and coved architrave with acanthus console brackets at 45 degrees to the wall face supporting a moulded cornice breaking round brackets with carved keystone, all painted stone. The doorcase is covered by a modern brick Doric porch. Later extension the full height of the building to the left-hand side. The attic storey has been extended by one bay each side at a later date. Two modern wings flank the original building of red brick. The south front is the same design but has a large 2 storey half octagonal bay in the centre, 3 windows on the first floor of the bay. Two windows and central glazed door on the ground floor of similar design to the north door, approached by 4 Portland steps with Portland stone balustrading. Four cast lead rainwater heads, 2 on the north and 2 on the south front with the inscription EDS. The interior contains a contemporary staircase with carved tread ends, with scroll, flower and leaf decorations. Three twisted balusters to each step and moulded hand rail. The staircase hall has an C18 ceiling with painting of pelicans, trumpets and swags. There is panelling to dado level. The Music Room has a cornice with swags and patterae and a marble fireplace with cupids, urns and swags.

Listing NGR: SU4518915058

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 43871 15433

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:47:06.