List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JESUS CHAPEL - ST MARY EXTRA

List entry Number: 1339992

Location

JESUS CHAPEL - ST MARY EXTRA, PEARTREE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1981

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135880

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. PEARTREE ROAD 5239 Peartree Green

Jesus Chapel - St Mary Extra (formerly listed as SU 41 SW 10/188 Church of St Mary Extra) 14.7.53

II*

2. This was built as Jesus Chapel in 1620 to serve that part of the old Parish of St Mary, Southampton ('St Mary Extra') which lay across the Itchen. It was the first church to be consecrated in Southampton after the Reformation. Built of rubble, the only part of the original building remaining is the centre west gable having diagonal buttresses a dressed coping crowned by a small gabled bell turret, rectangular opening and one bell. On the south return wall of the gable is an early C17 stone mullioned window with a rectangular head and pointed arched lights. In 1822 a west porch and south transept were added in ashlar by E. Burrough and J. Ede. The windows are flat-headed Neo-Tudor. In 1846 a north aisle was added, in 1866 an east aisle, and a new chancel and south chapel in 1883. The church is plain inside and retains complete its early C19 plain panelled oak pews. Early C19 wall monuments.

Listing NGR: SU4389011604

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 44093 11799

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 09:03:51.