List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1339465

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityStockbridge

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140382

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 3535 STOCKBRIDGE STOCKBRIDGE (north side) 15/20 CHURCH OF ST PETER GV 29.5.57 II

Parish church. 1866-7 by J Colson. Flint with stone dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of chancel with N vestry/organ chamber. N & S transeptal chapels and nave with aisles and in SW corner tower having S door. Chancel has 3-light Perp E window copying E vestry window; reused C15 3-light trefoiled window with traceried head, diagonal buttresses. To S central buttress and single trefoiled light and squareheaded 2-light. To N in vestry door and single lights. Tran- septal chapels as tall as chancel with 3-light Perp windows. To E of S one c.1300 2-light pointed window. Tall nave with trefoils high in gables and out- shot aisles with buttresses between bays, and reused C14 squareheaded 2 or 3-light trefoiled windows. To W of N aisle mid C12 2-light lancet, with circular light in head, window to W of nave window large pointed trefoil window. In W bay of S aisle tower with buttresses to bottom stage, pointed S door, W half-octagonal stair tower to 2nd stage, with S window of 2-pointed lights with round light in head. Offset top stage having 3 separate bell openings on each face. Added short broach spire. Inside chancel slurred glass; rear arch of E window has shafts supporting keel mould. Below painted reredos. Painted barrel-vaulted roof with ribwork, on foliage corbels. Pointed chancel arch on foliage corbels. Arcades on round piers with free Decorated foliage. In S transept E window in large rear arch with trefoiled niche. Stained glass in aisles. Norman Purbeck font of table top type on short round column on square base. King post roof and in aisles arch brace on corbel. SW corner has tower with door into nave.

Listing NGR: SU3549935143

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 35559 35143

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:15:24.