List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1339411

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityQuarley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140100

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 24 SE QUARLEY QUARLEY

5/3 CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL 20.12.60 II*

Parish church. Cll, C15, early C18, & restoration of 1882. Aisleless nave of Cll and chancel of C15, with later windows, vestry north of the chancel and a south porch of 1882; detached timber-framed bell-cote. Plain exterior with a tile roof, walls of flint (some herring-bone) with stone (some brick) rubble added to the restored part, stone dressings. A high window above the south porch, now filled, has thin voussoirs of early Romanesque style, and a tall north door to the nave (also filled) is similar: a high narrow round arched window remains in the west gable: a 2-light Perpendicular window is on the south side of the chancel and the main nave windows are Victorian Perpendicular: the west window is plain on the outside and perpendicular within: the chief feature is the east window of 1723, of Venetian form with an Ionic Order of square columns (inside and out). Within, the restoration of 1882 is expressed in the chancel arch and a tall arch to the vestry, but there is the reveal of the Cll window on the south side of the nave, & the stone jamb of a similar window opposite, as well as the stone frame of the north door. Plain tub font, C18 chancel rails with turned balusters (repeated in the pulpit). There are several wall monuments, in the chancel of 1793 and 1803, in the nave of 1823, 1826, & 1832; floor slabs' include one in the centre of the chancel of 1757.

Listing NGR: SU2737643665

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 27280 43985

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:51:50.