List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MELCHET COURT ST EDWARDS SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1339192

Location

MELCHET COURT
ST EDWARDS SCHOOL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMelchet Park and Plaitford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Nov-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 141124

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MELCHET PARK AND PLAITFORD MELCHET PARK SU 22 SE St Edwards School 1/3 Melchet Court

GV II*

Country house. 1863, fire damaged 1873, rebuilt 1875-9 all by H Clutton, re- modelled 1912-4 by D Braddell, early interior work by A Stevens and L W Collmann. Brick arch with stone dressings, plain tile roofs. Clutton's work Jacobean, Braddells Edwardian version of same. Entrance front is symmetrical with end and central Dutch gables. In centre 2 storey projecting porch has early C20 stone Jacobean doorway with cartouche over, 4 stone steps below, 4-light mullioned window over and low parapet. End bays have large 2-storey bows, with 4-light mullion and transomed window. Bays between have 4-light mullioned window with similar 3-light window over. 3-light mullioned windows in gables. Garden front is similar with rectangular 2-storey bow in centre, and canted bays at each end, with balustraded parapet. At ends and over centre in middle of building chimneys with triple moulded brick stacks. At one end, on garden front, service range remodelled early C20 with sunken garden in front, in enclosed area between gable of house and projecting wing on service range. That gable of house and service range are all that remains of 1863 house, in High Victorian Gothic, with round tower on junction with service range. On entrance side at other end C19 and C20 5 bay orangery with brick pilasters and cornice, stone arches. Under centre arch aedicule of rubbed brick and terracotta. Inside, behind porch is hall, still apparently with Steven's ceiling and grey marble fireplace, door- cases and panelling early C20. To L is staircase, said to be Stevens, but more English Baroque, and Steven's ceiling over. Steven's ceilings Italian Renaissance, designs in V & A, coffered and painted. Along R end chapel with more Jacobean that Italian ceiling, possibly Steven's and moved from dining room which lies behind staircase. Remainder of interior late C19 and early C20, except study in service range, partly in tower with Jacobean plaster by Collmann. Country Life; 1930; p176-83. N Pevsner; Buildings of England, Hampshire; Penguin; 1966; p332-3.

Listing NGR: SP3514822945

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 332-333
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1930), 176-183

National Grid Reference: SU 27072 22266

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:35:15.