List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1339113

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, ROMSEY ROAD A3057

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityKings Somborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140777

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 3630 15/1

KINGS SOMBORNE, ROMSEY ROAD, A3057 (east side), Church of St Peter and St Paul

29/5/57

GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins, chancel and S aisle C13, chancel rebuilt early C14, mid C14 side chapels to W chancel bays, N aisle and tower, in 1886 N arcade, part of S arcade, chancel arch, W aisle bays, tower and S porch rebuilt. Course flint and stone dressings, plain tile roof and timber upper part to tower, shingled spire. Plan of C13/C14 chancel with W bay having C14 side chapels continuing C13/C14 aisles of C12 nave and in W bay of nave large W tower with timber belfry and spire, to E of it S porch. E end of chancel has early C14 3-light reticulated window with hood-mould, and diagonal buttresses. In chancel side walls to E of centre wide C14 trefoiled window, to W mid C14 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window. Between windows to S pointed chamfered door, with corbel head reset above. Chapels have late C14 squareheaded 3-light trefoiled window with label, with some old glass. S aisle has 6 small square headed 2-light trefoiled windows 3 C14, one reset in old doorway, 3 C19. N aisle 4 C15 similar windows, much repaired, a C19 similar at W and W of centre C19 gabled porch, buttress each side and pointed door with label, inside door of reused stone. W end has C19 pointed door rising to sill of C19 W window similar to E window and aisles have W windows similar to E. Tower has tapered shingled middle stage, belfry of 4 roundheaded louvred bell openings on each side, short broach spire. Inside chancel E window has splayed arch. Each side image bracket, below square recess with C20 timber door. In NE monument 1736 to Needham Family in marble of console brackets supporting sill, inscribed panel on with Doric columns supporting entablature and broken segmental pediment with cartouche. To W low set C14 sept-foil ogee moulded recess containing slab with in low relief figure under trefoiled canopy, around edge Gothic inscription. W bay has to N and S double chamfered arches dying into jambs, above N jamb plaque 1729 to Luke Sutton. Chancel arch C13 rebuilt C19, with 2 chamfered order arch on C13 simple round capitals and shafts. To SE C19 stone pulpit. 5 arcade 3 bays, C13 restored C19, E bay and arch of next C13, of 2 chamfered orders with simple round capitals and columns. E column has medieval graffiti. In S aisle C17 altar rails of turned balusters and moulded rails. N chapel has splayed rear arches. In NE remains of C15 canopy in stone of pointed arch with battlemented cornice over. N arcade C19 copy of S. C15 principal purlin aisle roof. Pointed N door of reused inscribed stones. Nave roof plastered but below 3 C17 moulded tiebeams. In W bay octagonal Purbeck marble font with arcaded sides and central stem and 8 smaller shafts. VCH; Volume 4; 1911; p476.

Listing NGR: SU3608431170

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight - Date: 1911 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 476

National Grid Reference: SU 36022 30979

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 05:07:34.