List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MOYNS PARK

List entry Number: 1338363

Location

MOYNS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexBraintreeDistrict AuthoritySteeple Bumpstead

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 114179

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 64 SE STEEPLE BUMPSTEAD 2/84 Moyns Park (formerly 7/8/52 listed as Monyes Park)

GV I

Mansion, late C16, built for Thomas Gent, incorporating part of a courtyard house of c.1500, altered in C18, C19 and C20. Mainly of red brick in English bond with limestone dressings, partly timber framed with brick nogging and plaster, roofed with handmade red clay tiles and lead. Half-H plan, aspect NW, with wings extending to SE. The main range of 2 storeys, cellar and attics has 4 external chimney stacks to the rear, of which 3 are original. The 2 rear wings of 2 storeys each have an end chimney stack. C19 extensions at SE ends of both, and C19 single-storey extension to rear of main range. The earliest part is at the NW end of the SW wing, 2 bays of a single-span building facing NE. In the late C16 a second range was added to the SW, enclosing the original rear windows, a crosswing of 3 bays was added at the SE end, and the NE elevation was altered, now facing into the courtyard. The date of the NE wing is uncertain but is probably earlier than the main range. The NW elevation is symmetrical. A central rectangular porch with stone pinnacles at the corners is continued upwards as a semi-octagonal bay with flat roof above the first floor window. There are 2 semi-octagonal bays with flat roofs of similar height. There are narrow gables between the bays, a storey higher, and similar but wider gables to each side, all with moulded brick pinnacles at the base and apex. There are 2 moulded brick string courses at lintel height. The flat head and jambs of the outer doorway are moulded, with plain stops at half-height, and above it is a recessed panel containing the Moyne arms, modern. The inner doorway has different mouldings and more elaborate stops. To the left of the porch is a cellar window, and to each side are high ground-floor windows, diamond leaded with much early glass. There are mullioned and transomed windows, fully ovolo-moulded, on three sides of each bay at each storey, and on three storeys between and to each side. The 2 outer ground floor windows are much restored, all others original, with diamond leaded early glass in all the upper lights of the gable windows. The rear elevation of the main range has 5 windows similar to those at the front, and 4 more in gabled dormers, all the upper lights of the latter diamond leaded with early glass. There are 3 2-1-1 groups of octagonal chimney shafts with moulded bases and restored caps; originally there would have been 4 to complete the symmetry, but the most north- easterly is a plain modern replacement. The next stack is corbelled out from the wall at first floor level. The other most notable elevation is the NE side of the SW wing. It has a long jetty, with 2 decayed plain brackets, underbuilt with brick at the right end. Otherwise the framing is exposed, close studded with 2 fragments of external curved bracing, infilled with red brick, C16 and C20. The bay at the right end has 2 attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals and drooping projections, and a restored oriel. These features could date from c.1500 or earlier. Other ornamental features are c.1580, 2 projecting gables with bressumers, depressed arch brackets and bargeboards carved with folded leaf and grotesque designs, and pendants. The third gable, on the crosswing at the left, has carved bargeboards. There are 5 C17 wrought iron casements, and 2 late C16 glazed windows with moulded mullions. The SW sides of both rear wings were jettied. That of the NE wing has been underbuilt with C18 brick in Flemish bond, with exposed framing above, infilled with C16 and C20 brick. That of the SW wing has original brick in English bond below the jetty, and exposed framing and brick nogging above, much restored, in the form of 4 gables. The hall, to SW of the main door, has exposed ceiling beams and joists of vertical section, and painted late C16 panelling to half-height, not original. The drawing room, to the SW has C18 pine panelling, tripped of paint. The library, NE of the hall, has late C16 panelling. The stair, to SE of the hall is mainly reproduction, but retains a late C16 carved newel and half-newel. The basement under the library has a chamfered beam, and on one wall there is moulded brick corbelling which supports the fireplace above. On the first floor of the main range, in the NE room, there is a stone hearth surround with moulded lintel and jambs, late C16, and in the next room an original moulded doorway. The roof of the main range has butt-purlins, cambered collars of unusual flattened W-profile, and original bridging beams forming a ceiling at half-height. The rear dormers are original. The NE wing has jowled posts, chamfered axial beams, and C18 panelling and finishes on the upper floor. On the ground floor of the SW wing there is an original Tudor doorhead, a stone hearth surround with depressed arch and floral carving in the spandrels, one roll-moulded beam carved with folded leaves and a continuous threaded shaft (possibly of heraldic significance), early C16, and a modern reproduction. There is one original window to the SW with roll-moulded mullions and iron stiffening bars, with modern glazing, and one C16 door of moulded vertical planks. The stair to the first floor has a round newel post and oak treads and risers, but as it severs an external brace in the original rear wall (now enclosed by the late C16 range), it is of that period. In the upper part of the same wall there is a complete unglazed window with 3 diamond mullions, and another one with the mullions removed, now blocked. A stair of solid oak treads rises to the attic. The roof over the 2 NW bays has high arched collars, chamfered, without wind bracing; the common rafters have been replaced. The roof of the crosswing at the SE end has high and low collars, both arch-braced, and arched wind-bracing. Moated site. RCHM 6. Morant states that Thomas Gent, Sergeant at Law from 1584, Baron of the Exchequer from 1588, who died in 1593, 'added the stately front to the old building at Moynes' (II, 354). Country Life, 1 November 1902, and 28 November 1931.

Listing NGR: TL6943840621

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Morant, P - Title: The History and Antiquities of the County of Essex - Date: 1768 - Volume: 2 - Page References: 354
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 1 November - Date: 1902 - Journal Title: Country Life
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 28 November - Date: 1931 - Journal Title: Country Life

National Grid Reference: TL 69438 40621

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 05:59:15.