List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MATCHING HALL

List entry Number: 1337571

Location

MATCHING HALL, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
EssexEpping ForestDistrict AuthorityMatching

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Apr-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 SW MATCHING CHURCH GREEN 3/58 Matching Hall 22.2252 (formerly listed as Matching Hall and Dovecote) II* Manor house, C15, altered in C16, C17 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Aligned approx. NW-SE, aspect now SW formerly NE. 2-bay crosswing at NW end, C15, with central chimney stack, C17. 2-bay crosswing at SE end,c.1600. 2-storey hall block between them, c.1600. Chimney stack at junction with SE crosswing, late C16, forming a lobby-entrance to NE. At N corner of NW wing, square service building with pyramidal roof, 2 storeys, C17. Single storey extensions with pitched roofs to NE and SE of it, C20. Second square building with pyramidal roof, 2 storeys, NW of the first, linked to it by a wall, date uncertain. 2 storeys with attics. SW elevation, ground floor, gabled porch, 4 double-hung sash windows. First floor, 3 double-hung sash windows. Facade gable in middle of hall block, with double-hung sash windows in this and the gable of the SE crosswing. Grouped diagonal shafts on axial chimney stack. Some framing exposed internally. Axial beam in SW bay of NW crosswing plain chamfered with step stops. Axial beam in hall block plain chamfered with bar stops. Roof of NW crosswing of crownpost construction, much altered, originally with gablet at SW end, altered to a gable. Crownposts and collar-purlin missing, some original collars present. Roof of SE crosswing of clasped purlin construction with curved wind braces. Roof of hall block of joggled butt purlin construction, with facade gables both sides. Like many medieval houses this has undergone extensive reconstruction in the period of agricultural prosperity and rapid social change in the late C16 and early C17. Originally it had an open hall in the place of the present hall block, with the present NW crosswing forming a parlour and solar.

Listing NGR: TL5253811906

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 52538 11906

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2014 at 10:32:51.