List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHAPEL AND FORMER SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1336769

Location

BAPTIST CHAPEL AND FORMER SCHOOL, RYE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentTunbridge WellsDistrict AuthoritySandhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Jul-1993

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDHURST TQ82NW RYE ROAD (OFF) 1350-0/6/229 (South side) 20/06/67 Baptist Chapel and Former School (Formerly Listed as: Baptist Church) GV II Baptist chapel and former Sunday School. Chapel of 1853, Sunday School of 1899. Chapel built of red brick with 4 bays facing north and 3 west, each flanked by white brick pilasters with segmental arched arcading above. The 2 centre arches of the north front contain Venetian windows; the outer ones are round-headed at 1st floor level. Eaves cornice of white brick cogging. Slate roof with brick chimneystack. Gable end facing west reated as a pediment and with 2 similar arches below it containing windows on ground and 1st floors. Square porch. Interior has semi-circular wooden pulpit and gallery supported on 2 Tuscan columns. Attached is a Sunday School of 1 storey red brick with slate roof, 1 gabled dormer and 1 false gabled dormer with clock face. 3 Gothick windows with keystones. 2 plank doors. Pilasters and cogged eaves cornice. Inscription reads "In memory of Thomas Ellis Slaughter, founder of this school, died Sept. 28 1899 aged 69 years".

Listing NGR: TQ8144127997

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 80858 28041

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 11:02:29.