List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ANNE COURT BARHAM COURT

List entry Number: 1336516

Location

ANNE COURT, THE STREET
BARHAM COURT, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentCanterburyDistrict AuthorityBarham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jan-1967

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 170957

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5273 BARHAM THE STREET (east side)

Barham Court and Anne Court TR 2050 29.9.52 TR 2150 24/82 30.1.67

II* GV

2. This mansion is now divided into flats. Anne Court is the West wing, which is the oldest portion of the building. C17. Two storeys and attic in red brick with tile roof with 2 hipped dormers. Three windows, casements with small leaded panes. Barham Court, the main building, was built in 1735 and was refurbished and enlarged by Sir Edwin Lutyens for Evelyn Stanton in 1911. It consists of 2 parallel ranges. Two storeys and attic in red brick with tile roof. Hung sash windows with glazing bars. The west or back range has 4 window, 4 gabled dormers and a doorway designed by Lutyens in a stone architrave surround with an oval stone recess over it. The main range faces east and has 9 windows and 4 dormers. Brick stringcourse and wood modillion eaves cornice. The centre portion of 5 windows projects with a pediment over containing a segmental-headed sash window in the centre flanked by small round windows. Central doorway, originally the front door of the house, with fluted Corinthian pilasters, curved pediment and half-glazed door. In the north-east corner a wall links this to a single-storey red brick building added by Lutyens as a large living room and new a separate flat. This has 5 windows facing south, a stone recess at its east end, a stone eaves cornice and a hipped tiled roof. Its east front consists of a recessed loggia containing a pair of stone columns in the centre supporting a pediment. Its north wall has a massive chimney breast and 3 windows. To the south-east of the main east front is a wall treated in a matching style to balance this wing. To the west of the north-east wing is the main entrance, also added by Lutyens. Nine curved steps lead to a recessed porch approached by a doorway in a stone surround with an empty cartouche over it. To the west of this entrance and balancing the north-east wing is a similar wing added by Lutyens which contained the kitchen and service quarters. This also has a massive chimney breast in the centre of its north wall and 4 windows. The interior has a good C18 staircase. Country Life Article, Volume 45, page 145.

Listing NGR: TR2098250071

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 45, (), 145

National Grid Reference: TR 20988 50059

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 11:13:35.