List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE

List entry Number: 1336232

Location

THE ARCHBISHOP'S PALACE, MILL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
KentMaidstoneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 173433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MILL STREET 1. 5278 (West Side) The Archbishop's Palace TQ 7555 SE 6/68 3O.7.5l. GV

2. Begun by Archbishop Ufford in 1348. Completed by Archbishop Islip between 1349 and 1366. Enlarged by Archbishop Morton in 1486. Exchanged by Archbishop Crarmer with Henry VIII for other property. By Henry VIII it was granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt. On his son's rebellion it was forfeited to the Crown and subsequently granted to Sir John Astley, who built tle greater part of the existing house in the 2nd half of the C16. The main portion of the building is of ashlar with timber-framed wings at the north and south ends. The main section is E-shaped. 2 storeys and attics. 5 windows and 2 dormers to the north-vest front. Stringcourse. Parapet. Windows with stone mullions and transoms. 2 large dormers above the outer-projecting east wings with kneelers, coping and finials over the apices and kneelers. Tiled roof. The centre projection is the porch with round-headed arch and room over. At the south end of the building is a timber-framed wing nearby flush with the southern projection of the main front. This has one large and one small gable with pendants. Casement windows. At the north end of the building is a wing with stone ground floor and timber-framed upper storey with diagonal braces and plaster infill, surmounted by a gable with pendant. On the ground floor there is one obtusely pointed window and 1 square headed window containing 2 cinquefoil-headed lights. One sash window above them with glazing bars intact. To the north of this again is a further recessed wing wholly faced with stone but with a portion projecting on the lst floor apparently timber framed but this is modern or a reconstruction. The south-west front of the Palace facing£the Medway has a fine stone corbelled oriel window with 3 tiers of 6 lights, stone mullions and transoms and chamfered stone corbelling beneath. Also there are some double or triple lencets with hood moulding. The interior contains C16 panelling and some fine C16 wood or stone fireplaces.

Gateway & Wall to Palace Gardens, Wall to north-west of Archbishop's Palace, The Archbishop's Palace, Wall to east of Archbishop's Palace, The Dungeons at the Archbishop's Palace, The Gate House at the Archbishop's Palace, The Len Bridge, The Tithe Barn, Parish Church of All Saints, Wall to north & west of All Saints Church, The College Gateway, The College Tower, The College, The Master's Tower, Cutbush Almshouses and the Ruined Gateway form a group.

Listing NGR: TQ7592155442

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 75925 55443

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2014 at 12:11:44.