List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1336035

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN EVANGELIST, LECONFIELD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCopelandDistrict AuthorityCleator Moor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 76108

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 01 NW CLEATOR MOOR LECONFIELD STREET (South side) Cleator Moor 5/13 Church of St John Evangelist II

Parish Church. 1872 by Cory and Ferguson (Carlisle); restored 1900. Snecked sandstone blocks with quoins and buttresses; chamfered plinth to chancel. Graduated slate roofs with chapel outshut to either side of chancel; stone copings and kneelers. Romanesque style; west tower, nave with aisles, chancel. 3-stage tower has paired belfry opening under containing arch with trellis decoration to spandrel; blind recess on either side similarly decorated. Tower stair turret projects on south side at junction with nave; external door. Main door on north side of nave has 4 semicircular orders; 3 outer are decoratively carved, carried between waterleaf capitals on en-delit shafts. Single aisle and clerestory window to each bay of nave; chancel has 3 stepped windows to east end. All windows round-headed under hoodmoulds. Whitewashed brick interior. 4-bay nave arcade of semicircular arches carried between waterleaf capitals on quatrefoil piers. Quadrant vaults to aisles and pointed barrel vault to main vessel, both with transverse arches. Intersecting rib vault to chancel. Polygonal carved wood pulpit to left of chancel arch in nave, matching vicar's stall to right. Carved stone font, on 5 marble shafts, in baptistry to ground floor of tower.

Listing NGR: NY0147915311

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 01479 15311

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2014 at 11:00:54.