List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1335622

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityHayton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 55 NW HAYTON HAYTON

5/46 Church of St Mary 1.4.57 Magdalene G.V. II*

Church. On medieval site, present church dated 1780 with Latin inscription over entrance; side chapel 1793 for Graham family, chancel rebuilt 1842 (dated on interior inscription stone), restoration 1888. Red sandstone coursed rubble on chamfered plinth has ashlar quoins with V-shaped joints and shaped cornice; graduated slate roof with coped gables and kneelers. Small square 3-storey west tower/porch; 5-bay nave with north 3-bay side chapel, having separate stepped entrance; 2-bay chancel has north vestry. Tower has plank door with alternate block surround and keyed entablature, round arched window with similar bell opening above with wooden louvred vents; clock faces to 3 sides; battlemented parapet with pointed corner pinnacles. Nave has round arched windows with projecting impost blocks and false keystones; wall sundial. Side chapel has similar windows, entrance has pilaster strip surround and false keystone. Chancel has similar windows. Interior: open timber ceiling supported on shaped corbel stones: side chapel screen of elliptical arches on clustered circular columns: pews and furnishings all late C19 or early C20. Stained glass by Charles Evan of London 1888 and W.H.A. Ward, London 1907. Porch has internal door with radial fanlight. Side chapel has white marble wall plaques to the Grahams of Edmond Castle. 0.S. Bench mark on tower quoin.

Listing NGR: NY5078657692

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 50786 57692

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 10:35:46.