List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STONEGARTHSIDE HALL

List entry Number: 1335605

Location

STONEGARTHSIDE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityNicholforest

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Jun-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 48 SE NICHOLFOREST

3/82 Stonegarthside Hall

G.V. II*

House, formerly tower house. Probably late C13 for Baldwin de Wake, with wings dated 1682 on kneelers to right, for Henry Forster, incorporating earlier features. Large mixed blocks of calciferous and gray sandstone on projecting plinth stones with shaped quoins; reused medieval moulded stonework built into C17 extensions is thought to be from the original entrance to the building; crow stepped gables, ashlar chimney stacks (some of which are false), graduated Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, of numerous bays in Scottish Baronial style; buildings on 3 sides enclosing a small courtyard, which was formerly part of the house with its roof removed. Unifying courtyard wing of 2 storeys, 3 bays is probably late C17. Former entrance has moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice; flanking blocked windows. Upper floor windows have moulded architraves, now open and unglazed. Battlemented parapet with quatrefoil openings and ball finials to pilaster strips at each end. Flanking gabled wings of 1682 have sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves. Similar windows to sides; rear windows have chamfered stone surrounds. Central 3 bays of rear are part of the original 4-storey tower; the only original feature is the heart-shaped opening lighting the basement (a similarly shaped stone is removed to an outhouse). Interior has broad medieval square staircase for full 3 storeys and continued up to 4th storey; engaged newel posts have semicircular insets with central fillet and pendants at top and bottom; worn stone steps in 2 flights between floors; a rare and early survival. The size of the staircase indicates a larger medieval building than the visible remains and it is probable that there are further remains within the extensions. See; Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian Archaeological Society, new series, xxviii, pp389-392; lxi, pp169-201: ms by David Lockhart Smith (the present owner), Stonegarthside Hall, 1980.

Listing NGR: NY4803981860

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Lockhart Smith, D - Title: Stonegarthside Hall - Date: 1980
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Journal Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Volume: 28 - Page References: 389-392
  3. Article  Reference - Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Journal Title: Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society - Volume: 69 - Page References: 169-201

National Grid Reference: NY 48039 81860

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 01:53:52.