List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

List entry Number: 1335584

Location

CHURCH OF ST KENTIGERN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityIrthington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Apr-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77896

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 46 SE IRTHINGTON IRTHINGTON

9/101 Church of St Kentigern

1.4.57 II*

Church. C12, with C14 alterations, renovations of 1849 by Bloxham of Rugby and tower 1897 for James Carruthers. Chancel is mostly of dressed red sandstone from the nearby Roman Wall, with C19 ashlar dressings, nave and tower of snecked ashlar. Graduated slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles. 3-storey, north- west square tower has pointed arch entrance and windows with hood-moulds; louvred vents to bell chamber; angle buttresses, string courses, castellated parapet and clock to north face. 5 bay nave is externally 1849: north and south aisles have pointed lancets and hood-moulds: trefoil clerestory windows with hood-moulds: west entrance has trefoil head in open pediment, with dog- tooth decorations. 3 bay chancel has round-headed lancets and tripartite east window in C12 walls: 1897 vestry to south wall. Interior of nave has 4-bay arcades which Pevsner considers to be c1170, of rounded columns with square abaci and rounded arches with one step and slight chamfer: pointed arch of re-used stone to west, suggests nave was originally longer: capitals are carved with stylized leaves, which have been partly cut away when the arcade was filled and the aisles demolished in the C14 after destruction in a border raid. C12 chancel arch of 2 orders of columns with spur and crocket captitals, the innermost order is a continuous roll and the arch has rolls and dog-tooth decorations. Aisle windows have curvilinear leaded lights, with east windows of early C20 stained glass. Open timber roof. Internal oak panelled porch of mid-C19. C19 table font with 1911 brass cover, Cl9 carved Gothic pulpit and brass eagle lectern: all other furnishings late C19 or early C20. Chancel has C12 splays at east end, to north and south windows: other splays are C19 in enlarged original openings. South door, now inside vestry, is C12 with round- headed arch and incomplete dogtooth decoration. Omen timber roof and all other furnishings late C19 or early C20. Mixed diamond leaded clear glass and late C19 and early C20 stained glass to sides and east window. Churchyard retains its gravestones in rows some of C18 and one as early as 1660's: an earlier graveslab buried under armac path, but still partly visible.

Listing NGR: NY4987661634

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 49876 61634

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:22:28.