List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1335549

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict AuthorityKirklinton Middle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 77924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 46 NW KIRKLINTON KIRKLINTON

3/130 Church of St Cuthbert

G.V. II*

Church. Dated 1845, but replacing medieval church and incorporating re-positioned medieval features. Snecked red sandstone ashlar with rusticated plinth; graduated slate roofs. 3 storey square west tower has angle buttresses, string course and corbelled battlemented parapet: pointed-head lancets with hood moulds. Nave of 6 bays has buttressed walls and angles: projecting gabled porch to south wall has pointed-head arch with hood mould and oak plank doors. Lancet windows with pointed heads and hood moulds between buttresses. Chancel of one bay has angle buttresses, triple lancet east window with hood mould; coped gable with kneelers and cross finial. Interior has inscribed and dated dedication tablet. Tower arch, formerly the chancel arch, is C12 and of two orders with bead and chevron decoration. Also from the original church are heraldic tablets to the Appleby family of 1698 and early 1700's; three aedicule monuments to members of the Dacre-Appleby family of 1729, 1738 and 1779. One window of heraldic glass for Dacre-Appleby family, other windows of plain diamond leaded panes, east window of early C20 stained glass. Pews, pulpit and lectern are all late C19 or early C20; panelled and vaulted light oak roof. Chancel steps of polished serpentine. Carved and guilded Royal Arms of Queen Victoria at west end. Copper and wrought-iron oil lamps (still in use), in Art Nouveau style, are probably by the Keswick School of Industrial Art. Re-positioned piscina from the medieval church.

Listing NGR: NY4326667038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 43266 67038

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 04:12:42.