List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1335406

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityAlfreton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79052

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 40 55 NE ALFRETON CHURCH STREET (north side) 8/9 Church of St Martin 13.7.66

GV II*

Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, restored and north aisle and south chancel bay added 1868 by T C Hine, chancel enlarged 1899-1901, also with c1930 hall. Ashlar with leaded roofs to south aisle and porch, plain tile roof to chancel and graduated slate roofs elsewhere. Western tower, five bay nave with clerestory to south side, south aisle gabled, north aisle and lower chancel with north vestry, also later hall added to north of north aisle. Deep moulded plinth throughout. C15 three stage west tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to eaves height and stringcourses between the stages. Deeply moulded pointed west door with large 3-light Perpendi- cular window with transom across lower lights, above. This was moved from the east end by T C Hine in 1868. Clockface to second stage south side. Bell stage with pointed 2-light louvred openings with flowing tracery. Slightly projecting embattled parapets over with central gargoyles to each side and crocketed corner pinnacles. Large gabled north aisle has shallow pointed 5-light west window with Perpendicular tracery. Stone coped gable and ridge cross above. North elevation has five 3-light four-centred arched windows with cusped tracery, one window now used as doorcase in 1930 hall to north which is of no special interest. East window of aisle is of 4-lights with geometric tracery. Chancel has small vestry to west, with flat headed doorcase and cusped single light window to north and 2-light Perpendicular style window to east. Beyond to east is an attached C19 wall memorial, a stepped buttress and a 2-light pointed window with flowing tracery. East window of 5 lights with geometric tracery. Stepped sill band below and flanking diagonal buttresses. Near base of wall, a fine early C18 stone wall memorial with flame finial flanked by sculls to the Turner family and above two datestones, one inscribed 'AD MDCCCC' the other 'Laus Deo Aug XV MDCCCLXIX'. South elevation of chancel has stepped sill band, central stepped buttress and two 2-light pointed windows with flowing tracery. Aisle bay against the chancel has segment headed 3-light windows with unusual Perpendicular tracery to east and south. South aisle, to west, has four similar windows with stepped buttresses between and gabled south porch between western two. Porch has double chamfered pointed doorcase with carved eaves band over and ogee headed niche with C19 statue. Above five flat headed clerestory windows with flowing tracery. All openings have hoodmoulds with carved head stops. Interior 5 bay north and south arcades of double chamfered pointed arches with continuous hoodmoulds and foliage stops, south arcade is original, and has octagonal piers with moulded capitals, northern arcade C19 with columns. Both arcades have thickened piers one bay west of chancel arch. Tower has double chamfered pointed arch on octagonal responds with moulded capitals, chancel has similar arch on half shafts with foliage capitals, both have C19 timber screens across.

Listing NGR: SK4073155885

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 40731 55885

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 03:54:23.