List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1335354

Location

THE OLD RECTORY AND ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK, MERCASTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DerbyshireAmber ValleyDistrict AuthorityKedleston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 78898

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 34 SW PARISH OF KEDLESTON MERCASTON LANE 3/59 (South Side) The Old Rectory and attached stable block II* Rectory, now house. 1759-60, possibly by Jason Harris. Moved to its present site in 1771 by James Denston. The design of the main facade was re-drawn by Robert Adam. Red brick with stone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof with lateral brick stacks. Tiled roof to stables. Stone plinth and moulded stone eaves cornice. Two storeys over a basement storey partly underground. Pedimented, symmetrical, three bay south elevation. The centre bay has a giant recessed blind arch, with impost band forming a first floor sill band. The ground floor has three glazing bar sashes in moulded stone architraves, the centre one more elaborate, with consoles and balustrade. Three smaller glazing bar sashes above, under gauged brick lintels. Bull's eye window in the pediment. Three bay east elevation. Central Venetian type doorway with fluted pilasters and steep triangular pediment on consoles. Narrow glazing bar sash side lights. Raised and fielded panelled door. Glazing bar sash to right, under a gauged brick lintel. Three similar windows above. Lower stable range to west has a south elevation with a round-arched doorway with stone surround, flanked by large lunette windows with stone surrounds. One similar window above and a C20 casement window. Interior: Early C18 staircase, open string, with two twisted balusters per tread. Heavy ramped handrail. Early C18 panelled doors. Upper rooms have bolection mouled door surrounds. Greek key dado rail in the drawing room. The re-used early C18 features may have come from the old Kedleston Hall which was being demolished as the rectory was built.

Source: Unpublished information from Mr Leslie Harris, Kedleston Archives

Listing NGR: SK3047241061

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 30472 41061

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 12:52:11.