List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BEGA

List entry Number: 1332957

Location

CHURCH OF ST BEGA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaAllerdaleDistrict AuthorityBassenthwaite

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72100

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 22 NW BASSENTHWAITE

7/16 Church of St Bega

3.3.67 II*

Parish church. C12 and C13, with restoration of 1874 by Messrs S. Watson of Penrith. Dressed calciferous sandstone, the larger blocks medieval, with angle buttresses and flush quoins of pink sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 2-bay nave with south aisle and vestry, west open bellcote; single-bay chancel with south chapel continuous with aisles and vestry. Nave has C19 north round-headed doorway within stone porch. C19 2-light north window and double-lancet west window under round plate-tracery window. South aisle has paired lancet windows; vestry shouldered windows. Chancel has blocked north doorway and window with 2 cusped lights. C19 3-light east window and chapel with C19 lancets. Interior of nave has C19 open timber roof and single pointed aisle archway. Unmoulded chancel arch on simple imposts. South door now leads to vestry, near which is a medieval graveslab to Robert Highmore and wall plaque to Mary Wane of Scarness 1741. Royal arms of George II and recut octagonal font. Wrought-iron hourglass stand beside chancel arch. Chancel has side chapel archway similar to aisle. Floor paving includes medieval graveslab to a Highmore. Wall plaque to Walter Vane, 1814 by Paul Nixson of Carlisle. Stained glass east window and aisle windows of 1874 by Powell Bros of Leeds. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, 1xvi, pp 276-292.

Listing NGR: NY2266228748

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 66, (), 276-292

National Grid Reference: NY 22662 28748

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 02:27:05.