List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MENEFREDA

List entry Number: 1332584

Location

CHURCH OF ST MENEFREDA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CornwallUnitary AuthoritySt. Minver Highlands

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 26-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351600

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 97 NE ST MINVER ST MINVER HIGHLANDS 4/277 Church of St Menefreda (previously 6.6.69 listed as church of St. Minefreda) GV I Parish church. Possible traces of C12 masonry in the north aisle and north wall of chancel and fragment of C12 capital. Circa early C13 4-bay arcade to north aisle and circa C15 south aisle and south porch. Tower and spire rebuilt during restoration of 1870-1875 by J. P. St. Aubyn. Stone rubble. Roughly coursed and squared stone to south aisle with stepped buttresses and moulded granite plinth. Ashlar stone to tower with granite dressings. Regular slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. The roof of the nave is swept down over the north aisles. Of the C12 church the only evidence appears to be possible fragments of masonry in the north walls of the north aisle and chancel and a fragment of C12 capital which was discovered in 1927. The narrow north aisle was partly rebuilt in circa early C13 when the four bay arcade was constructed. In circa late C15 the 7 bay south aisle was added together with the south porch and the west tower and spire were probably constructed. During the 1870-75 restoration the east wall of the chancel was partly rebuilt and refenestrated, a north transept was either added or rebuilt, the chancel, nave, north and south aisles were re-roofed and the tower and spire were rebuilt. West tower of three stages with stepped angle buttresses and stair tower in projection on north side. C19 2-centred arch to west door and C19 Decorated intersecting tracery in 5-light west window and 3-light belfry openings. The ashlar stone broach spire with granite dressings rises 120' above ground level and leans slightly; weather cock on top. North aisle: 3 restored or renewed 2-light cusped mullion windows in rectangular surrounds. North transept: C19 Geometric tracery in north window and reset circa C16 3-light mullion window on east side. Chancel: C19 3-light window with geometric tracery. South aisle: 4-light east window and six 3-light south windows with circa late C15 Perpendicular tracery. Contemporary C15 south porch with sundial (dated 1746) above C19 2-centred arched entrance; circa C15 waggon roof. The 2-centred moulded free stone arch to south door with cavetto and roll mould appears of circa late C14 in style. C19 south door. Interior: Roofs replaced in C19 restoration; arch braced collar rafter roof with two tiers of wind braces over nave and south aisle. Circa early C13 4-bay north arcade; short thick octagonal piers with double chamfered 2-centred arches. Circa C15 7-bay south arcade; standard type A (Pevsner) granite piers with 5 2-centred arches on west and two bays with lower 4-centred arcade arches to east. Three piers with carved capitals. Tower arch; 2-centred arch with double chamfer. Complete set of bench ends in nave, circa 1530-40 (Pevsner); well carved with Renaissance detailing; largely of secular subjects. Circa C19/C20 furnishings in south aisle and C19 choir stalls in chancel. Circa C17 communion rails. Remains of upper stage of rood loft stair in north wall of chancel. The circa C15 rood screen was removed in 1837 and part was reset below the tower arch. Although heavily restored much of the Perpendicular tracery remains intact. Circa C15 octagonal font of elvan stone with blind traceried panels on bowl and base; lead lined. Circa C15 commandment boards in tower. Fragment of Norman capital found in 1927 against west wall of south aisle. Letter of thanks from King Charles, 1643 and painted Royal Arms dated CR 1660 at west end of south aisle. Stocks of circa 1400 in south porch. Stained glass; east window of south aisle by O'Connor, circa 1870, inscription 1867. Monuments include brass of Roger Opry, (1517) in south aisle, monument to John Roe of Trewornan (qv) (1657), classical monument to Thomas Darell (1697) remains of slate altar tomb of Thomas Stone (1604) decorated with arms of Stone and Harris of Hayne and C19 monuments of Sandys family. Although restored in 1870-75 by J.P. St. Aubyn, St. Minver retains many of its early fittings including a magnificent collection of bench ends. The spire, an unusual feature in Cornwall, is an important landmark. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1879, vol III Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition, 1970 Church Guide Sites and Monuments Register, Truro.

Listing NGR: SW9647777084

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Church of St Menefreda Church Guide
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Maclean, J - Title: Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall - Date: 1879 - Volume: 3
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds - Date: 1970

National Grid Reference: SW 96477 77084

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 06:26:49.