List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1332552

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, MILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
BuckinghamshireAylesbury ValeDistrict AuthorityShabbington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Dec-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 43298

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 60 NE SHABBINGTON MILL ROAD west side

5/357 Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene 21.12.67

- II*

Parish church. Parts of nave and chancel circa 1100. Chancel remodelled c1340. Nave windows c1340, mostly restored, late C15 west tower. Limestone rubble with dressed quoins. North wall of nave has much cllOO herringbone rubble. Old tile roofs. Two bay chancel, 4 bay nave, west tower, and C19 north porch. Chancel has 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. East bay has window of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil and tracery. Y tracery to south west window. North west has low side window cills,chamfered jambs and square head. Nave has two 2-light windows, the north east one with moulded caps to nook shafts and moulded rere arch inside. Doorways between, the north one with evidence of c1100 round arched doorway above. Chancel and nave north walls with herringbone coursing. West tower of one stage with 2 sloping west buttresses. Diagonal stair turret at south west. Embattled parapet. West door and west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and tracery. Ringing chamber has small square-headed windows. Bell chamber has 2-light square headed windows. Interior: Chancel has C19 panelled wagon roof with wall-posts on heavy stone corbels. C18 wall tablets on west wall above chancel arch of 2 continuous square chamfered orders. Herringbone masonry on north part of chancel west wall. 4 bay C15 nave roof has moulded wall plate 4 rough tie beams and queen posts. At east end a short bay has 2 cambered tie beams with wall brackets and curved braces, probably to form canopy over the Rood. Boarded at a lower level than the rest of the roof. Font. Plain octagonal bowl on tapering stem. C14? Piscina in chancel with cinque foil head, stone shaft, original drain. C15. Pulpit dated 1626. Hexagonal with plain moulded panels. Simple carved frieze. Arms of George III on south wall. Raised and fielded panelling to walls of nave to dado level. Screen in tower arch of C17 panelling. RCHM I. 277. MON.1.

Listing NGR: SP6666206745

Selected Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Buckinghamshire Volume One South, (1912)

National Grid Reference: SP 66662 06745

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:10:12.