List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1331998

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH END

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityParson Drove

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48132

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 30 NE PARSON DROVE CHURCH END 9/56 (North Side)

23.6.52 Church of St John the Baptist

GV II*

Parish church, originally a chapelry of Leverington parish, almost entirely late C15 or early C16 but with a C14 north aisle and C19 alterations, particularly to south aisle. There is a C13 outer archway to the small north porch, probably surviving from the original church or chapel on the site. In 1613 the chancel was destroyed in a storm. The church is noteworth for the vaulting to the interior of the west tower. Late C15 or early C16 embattled west tower of Barnack ashlar and rubblestone. Of four stages on splayed plinth with angle buttressing and newel staircase in north east corner. Moulded main cornice with two gargoyles to each side. West doorway in two- centred arch and of two moulded orders with a label carried on small attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. West window of three trefoil lights in foiled head with two-centred arch with label and return stops. Similar windows to north and south walls, now blocked. Two cinquefoil openings to bell-stage with tracery similar to that of west window. Late C12 reused stone carved with figure of man in splay of plinth in south wall of tower. Nave of rubblestone, repaired with red brick. Roof of slate. Each side of clerestory has six windows each of three lights with certical tracery in square heads. South aisle, also C15, but much rebuilt and refenestrated in C19, except for east wall which is of rubblestone with a window of three cinquefoil lights. South porch late C15 or early C16 with diagonal buttressing and parapetted gable. Similar inner and outer archways with hollow and wave mouldings. The responds have attached shafts with half-octagonal capitals. Moulded labels on small attached shafts similar to those of west doorway to tower. The chancel archway is now blocked. Two-centred arch with remains of rood staircase to the north. C14 north aisle of rubblestone on splayed plinth. Two centred arches, splayed sills and hollow moulded reveals to five C14 windows of two cinquefoil lights in ogee heads. The east window is of three lights. Small north porch with C13 outer archway of two chamfered orders in two-centred head with label and mask stops. Inner arch C14. Interior. Fine west tower interior. Vaulting with tiercerons and carved bosses at intersections with central, round opening for bell ropes. Tower arch two-centred and of two continuous moulded orders. The responds and soffit of the arch are divided into panels each of two bays with foiled heads. Four-centred arch to doorway to newel staircase. Nave. North and south arcades of seven bays, with the bays to the west partly blocked. Depressed, almost round arches of three moulded orders on columns composed of four grouped half-octagonal shafts divided by subsidiary shafts. Moulded half octagonal capitals and bases to each. The roofs of the nave and north and south aisles retain the original corbels. Font, late C15. Octagonal bowl, stem and base. Each face carved with ornament. Pulpit, dated 1677 with C20 steps and base. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.199. Pevsner (Buildings of England) p.450.

Listing NGR: TF3903009088

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 199
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 450

National Grid Reference: TF 39030 09088

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 04:00:08.