List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF EASE

List entry Number: 1331986

Location

CHAPEL OF EASE, HIGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech St. Mary

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48177

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 40 SW WISBECH ST. MARY HIGH ROAD 14/84 Guyhirne

23.6.52 Chapel of Ease (formerly listed as Old Church)

II*

Formerly the parish church, dated 1660 on lintel over doorway, replacing a mediaeval church in the village. Limestone ashlar with some reused stone, possibly mediaeval in buttress and plinth at west end. Brick to west and north wall. Pantiled roof with open timber bell-cote at west gable end above one window of four plain round-headed lights. Rectangular plan. Two similar windows in south wall and another to east and north walls. Doorways in segmental arch to west end of south wall. Interior has original C17 stall pews and hat pegs. Part of the pulpit is intact. Octagonal with sunken panels in two tiers, on modern base. The ceiling is plastered. The chapel is an important example of ecclesiastical building during the Commonwealth. It is associated with the late C17 and C18 Anabaptist sect, the Culimites, whose leader David Culy is believed to have preached there. VCH (Cambs) Vol.IV, p.236. - Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.399.

Listing NGR: TF4031204018

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1970 - Page References: 399

National Grid Reference: TF4031204018

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Aug-2014 at 05:56:34.