List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TRINITY HALL, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT COURT, WITH THE WEST RANGE OF SOUTH COURT, THE MASTERS LODGE AND THE LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1331807

Location

TRINITY HALL, THE BUILDINGS SURROUNDING FRONT COURT, WITH THE WEST RANGE OF SOUTH COURT, THE MASTERS LODGE AND THE LIBRARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireCambridgeDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47285

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRINITY HALL 1. 942 The Buildings surrounding Front Court, with the West Range of South Court, the Master's Lodge and the Library TL 4458 NE 3/302 26.4.50. TL 4458 SE 6/302 I 2. Front Court Entirely of the second half of C14, except for the East Range (q.v.), and thus the largest enclosed court of its age and the earliest to include a Chapel. Building was begun circa 1350. Some alterations are recorded from the C16, but major improvements began in the early C18 and culminated in the ashlaring, Classicing and otherwise modernizing of the entire court in 1741-3, probably to the designs of James Burrough. Sash windows were inserted throughout, the interiors were modernized and the whole re-roofed in slate. East Range Originally of the late C14 and C18 but burnt out in 1852 and rebuilt by A Salvin. The stone and door surrounds were re-used and the C18 design repeated with the addition of another storey. The interior retains no features earlier than 1852. South Range One and two storeys in attics under a continuous roof. The three bays with the central passage project slightly. Sash windows with glazing bars. The external features of the Chapel are C18 and C19. Internally it has a fine plaster ceiling of segmental barrel form. The fittings of interest include C16 brasses, a lectern of circa 1730, some early C17 panelling, marble paving 1729-30, oak reredos 1730, reset in 1864. Screen, panelling and stalls 1730. West Range One storey and two storeys with attics under a continuous roof; the second storey being added between 1560 and 1584. The Hall was extended in 1890-1 when the C18 ceiling was destroyed. The octagonal timber cupola with lead covered dorme is of 1743-5. The Hall is of six bays with a late C19 hammerbeam roof. Mid C18 fireplace and screen. The Library-Annexe has fielded panelling of 1730-1 and a fireplace surround of the same date. North Range Two storeys and attics. The interior was completely gutted in 1928-9. The interior has medieval, C18 and modern features, and a particularly varied fenestation. The interior has a number of re-set features from different periods. Dr Eden's Room has a three-bay timber ceiling of circa 1500, and is lined with oak panelling of circa 1625. Overmantel of circa 1625 with a Roman Doric order. Another room has oak fielded panelling and fireplace of 1725-30. South Court West Range 1823. Grey brick. 3 storeys, slate roof. Stone copings and cills, and plain parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars; semi-circular headed doorways. The interior is quite plain. Master's Lodge In appearance a modern building except for one late Cl6 gabled bay on the North end of the West front. The original C14 Lodge was extended in the C16, improved in 1804 and 1822, the South wing was rebuilt in 1823, the whole was enlarged and part rebuilt by A Salvin in 1852, and again altered and refronted in 1890-2 by Grayson and Ould Library Range. circa l584. 2 storeys. Red brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. The ground floor has five two and three-light stone mullioned windows, the first floor eight one and two light of similar type. Stepped gables. Internally the ground floor was remodelled in 1863 and 1935. The Library above has a plain plaster ceiling and five late C16 bookcases with contemporary seats. (RCHM).

Listing NGR: TL4465858498

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)
Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 44658 58498

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 08:13:21.