List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1331800

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityBrinkley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49104

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 65 SW BRINKLEY HIGH STREET (North Side)

9/45 Parish Church 19.8.51 of St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church, chancel C13, nave, aisles and tower C14. Clerestorey, walls of aisles and chancel largely rebuilt in 1874 restoration (see vestry report). Architect F. Thompson. Flint, pebble and clunch rubble walls originaly plastered, knapped flint restored walls and plinth band to tower. Reused, limestone, clunch and C19 Ketton limestone dressings. C15 red brick porch, originally plastered and red brick repairs. Slate roofs. Tower with clasping west buttresses of three stages with parapet and moulted plinth band. Belfry window of two-lights, arch rebuilt. Clerestorey of four bays with two-light windows linked at imposts by stone bands. Similar bands link restored aisle windows, possibly copies of original C14 clunch windows of two-lights with quatrefoil at head. North chancel window with transome for 'low side' shutters now with C14 glass fragments. East window C13 partly restored, four-lancet-lights with large quatrefoil. South porch with four-centred moulded brick arch and shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases. Door to north entrance C15 or earlier. Interior nave arcades of four bays with octagonal piers with moulded caps and bases, and two-centred arches of two chamfered orders. Chancel arch raised in C19. Arch braced nave roof, pent aisle roofs, and boarded barrel roof to chancel C19. Altar rails, C18. Stoop and two piscinae in aisles C14. C17 box pew in north aisle, and restored pulpit with carved panels. Modern font. Thirty-hour clock, 1779, in tower. C16 and C17 monuments to Sturville family. Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.308. R.H. Cory, His. Notes of Brinkley, 1973, p.13. Wm. Cole, 1750, MS/CRO. VCH, Vol. VI, p.139. RCHMN (Cambs. notes), 1952.

Listing NGR: TL6294854831

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 308
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 139
Other
Cory, RH , Historical Notes on Brinkley, 1973,

National Grid Reference: TL 62948 54831

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 06:14:30.