List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY AND OLD GARDEN WALL

List entry Number: 1331772

Location

THE OLD RECTORY AND OLD GARDEN WALL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthoritySnailwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49068

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 66 NW SNAILWELL CHURCH LANE

5/156 The Old Rectory 1.12.51 and Old Garden Wall

GV II*

Originally the rectory, early C18, including within the plan two separate medieval buildings, possibly wings of an C12 earlier house. C18 local brown brick, C19 gault brick, Barnack limestone, clunch and flint. Plain tile roofs. Main range two storeys with attics and basement and end stacks; flanked by two, two storey wings to north-east and south-west. Five 'bays' encasing in two 'bays' to north-east a two storey C12 building with round-headed arches to two openings now sealed over, and one introduced C15 doorway. C19 stucco to entrance facade with imitation rusticated stone quoins. Five first floor, twelve-paned hung sash windows in wooden cases, four similar ground floor windows. Band between floors. Entrance approached by stone steps; closed, gabled C19 porch with early C18 raised and fielded panelled door. Pedimented doorcase in original position with C19 half-glazed door. Wing to north-east with parapet gable and ridge stack has early C18 hung sash windows in rear elevation. Wing to south-west, medieval and cased in C19 gault brick, has brick buttresses with Barnack limestone offsets at rear, these may replace original; front elevation has a C18 four panelled door and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. Interior details largely C19, closed string main staircase with turned balusters made by Mr Tharp in Queen Anne style.

Photographs of C12 openings in Cambs. Daily News, March 7, 1959 Snailwell Tithe Map, 1842

Listing NGR: TL6420867479

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Cambridgeshire Daily News' in 7 March, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 64208 67479

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 09:04:21.