List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRIOR CRAUDENS CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1331686

Location

PRIOR CRAUDENS CHAPEL, THE COLLEGE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityEly

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Jun-1972

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48701

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THE COLLEGE 1. 1082 Prior Crauden's Chapel. (Formerly listed as part of Bishop's house TL 5479 2/95 23.9.50 (Prior's House)) GV 2. Prior Crauden built his private chapel adjoining the south west corner of the hall in 1524-25. It was built over a C13 vaulted undercroft, mainly of Barnack stone ashlar, with clunch (chalk) on the carved interior. The Chapel has 2 bays, with angle buttresses and a centre buttress on the north and south fronts. The east bay has 2 pointed arched windows with "Decorated tracery and the west bay has a small window low down in the wall. The east and west gable ends have wide pointed arched windows with fine "Decorated" tracery. On the north west corner there is an octagonal entrance and staircase tower with a stone spiral staircase. The interior is richly carved and has a rare and particularly fine Cl4 mosaic tile floor - with animal and foliated designs and a panel in front of the altar depicting Adam and Eve.

The Great Hall (Bishop's residence), the Queen's Hall (Headmaster's House), Wall to the garden fo the Bishop's residence, Guest Quarters of the Monastery, Walls to the Guest Quarters of the Monastery and Ely Porta, Prior's House (Boarding House of the King's School) Prior Crauden's Chapel, Walls to the garden of the Prior's House, Ely Porta, Barn and Storehouse of the Monastery and Wall to the Barn and Storehouse from a group with Bishop's Palace, Walls to the Bishop's Palace, and Nos 2 to 8 (consec) and No 9 (stables to Bishop's Palace), The Galery. See also general group description under the Cathedral of The Holy Trinity.

Listing NGR: TL5404680141

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 54046 80141

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 06:28:48.