List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1331608

Location

6, THE CRESCENT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireFenlandDistrict AuthorityWisbech

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 48228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISBECH THE CRESCENT TF 4609 6/30 No. 6 GV II*

Terrace house built c.1793, possibly retaining most original features and for this is particular noteworthy. Two terraces linked by pair of houses sharing common pedimented facade dated 1808 and the Weslyan Chapel, 1803 built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752, d.1827), as part of the planned circus of the Castle Estate. Local brown brick; slate roof and side stack. Three storeys and basement; two 'bays'. Stone coped parapet with painted stone bands at first and second floors. Two second floor twelve-paned recessed hung sash windows in cambered gauged red brick arches with stone cills. Two, sixteen-paned first and ground floor windows in similar openings. Left hand entrance approached by two steps with six-panelled door and patterned fanlight with glazing bars in double recessed round headed arch of gauged red brick. Rear windows all sixteen-paned hung sashes in segmental arches and similar basement window. Interior has original open-string staircase, three original chimney pieces, panelled window cases and round headed arched cupboard. Iron range by F. Ford, Wisbech in service basement with contemporary C19 chimney piece. NMR (C. Godfrey, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982. Colvin, p.386, 1954. VCH Cambs, p.242. G. Annis, A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977. Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278, 1849. Watson, prints, History of Wisbech, 1827.

Listing NGR: TF4619209529

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Annis, G - Title: A History of Wisbech Castle - Date: 1977
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of English Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1954 - Page References: 386
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Walker, N and Craddock, T - Title: The History of Wisbech and the Fens - Date: 1849 - Page References: 278
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Watson, W - Title: An Historical Account of the Ancient Town and Port of Wisbech - Date: 1827
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4 - Page References: 242

National Grid Reference: TF 46192 09529

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:53:04.