List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES ADJOINING EAST OF MILTON HALL

List entry Number: 1331549

Location

STABLES ADJOINING EAST OF MILTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of PeterboroughUnitary AuthorityCastor

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5141 CASTOR MILTON PARK Stables adjoining east of Milton Hall TL 1499 47/144 15.12.55 GV 2. Dated 1690, possibly by William Talman (or John Sturges). Talman advised about building offices and proposed rebuilding of Milton Hall for first Earl Fitzwilliam in 1688. Coursed stone range with freestone dressings built around 3 sides of courtyard. Hipped Collyweston stone roof with modillion eaves cornice. Rusticated quoins and stringcourse. Two storeys and attic. 4:3:4 bays centre breaks forward with pediment containing elliptical light and date 1690. Central doorway with segmental pediment. Cross mullion/transom windows, architraves have straight heads with keyblocks. Alternate triangular and segmental pedimented dormers. Central clock turret with pediments and cupola. Wings of 4 and 6 bays with ashlar ridge stacks with cornices. The old kitchen quarters on the ground floor house stone vaulted ceilings. VCH Vol II page 476.

Listing NGR: TL1454599866

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1906), 476
Other
Part 5 Cambridgeshire,

National Grid Reference: TL 14545 99866

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 05:27:40.