List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1331496

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthoritySutton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Aug-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49561

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4478 SUTTON HIGH STREET (North side) 17/32 Church of St Andrew 5.2.52 GV I

Parish church. Late C14 and early C15. Restored 1869 by F W Preedy. Field and rubblestone with considerable areas of Barnack limestone ashlar and Barnack dressings. Plain tiled roofs with end parapets and gable crosses. Plan of west tower, nave with north and south aisles and south porch, chancel and north vestry. West tower: Late C14 and C15. Four stages on splayed plinth with quatrefoil band carried round the four stage angle buttressing which becomes polygonal in the upper stages. West doorway has two centred arch of three ogee moulded orders divided by slender embattled shafts in square head with dagger cusping to the spandrel. The drip mould has male and female mask stops. The west window has been restored. The second stage has a window of two lights with drop tracery to each side. The bell stage has three lancet openings with inset circles above. The tower is embattled. There are four broaches forming an octagon and probably included as the base for a proposed spire. This octagon is also embattled. The tower is completed by a further octagon, embattled, and having crocketted pinnacles at the corners. There is a clock in the west face of the lower octagon. Nave: has on each side a clerestory, five windows of two trefoil lights each in two centred arch. It is embattled and the moulded main cornice has beast gargoyles. The south aisle has five late C14 windows of three cinquefoil lights each in two centred arch with flowing tracery. There is a similar window to each end of the aisle. The aisles are also embattled and have gargoyles. The south porch is contemporary with the south aisle. It is of two storeys, including the parish room. The newel stair turret is in the north west corner. Embattled parapet and two-stage angle buttressing. Moulded main cornice with corner beast gargoyles. The cornice and splayed plinth moulding are continued round from the south aisle. The parvise room has in each wall a two light window with cinquefoil cusping to the head. The south doorway has a two centred outer arch with three moulded orders, the inner wave moulding carried on three clustered columns with moulded capitals enriched with fleurons and moulded bases. The interior is in two bays and has tierceron vaulting on shafts continuous from the base and with boss enrichments including the arms of Bishops Barnet, Arundel and of York at the intersections. The chancel has two stage buttressing. The south wall with three windows of three cinquefoil lights with decorated tracery. A south doorway in two centred hollow and ogee moulded arch with label. The east window, restored, in two centred arch of five cinquefoil lights divided by a transome. The lower has cinquefoil drop cusping to the lights and the upper stage has similar cusping in ogee heads with flowing tracery. Interior: The south doorway inner arch is two centred and of three continuous hollow and roll moulded orders. Tower arch two centred with polygonal shafts with embattled capitals. The tower hall carries a tierceron vault of wood with an octagonal bell rope opening. Nave arcade of six bays. Two centred arches of continuous hollow moulded outer order and ogee moulded inner order on lozenge shaped piers with engaged columns to the east and west faces. There is a continuous hood moulding with beast stops. The roof is C19 on original carved stone corbels. The north and south aisles and the chancel have blind arcading to the walls corresponding with that of the nave arcade. Two centred hollow moulded arches on moulded bases. In south east corner of south a piscina with niche above, now mutilated, with vaulted roof and seated figure, also mutilated. Chancel arch: Two centred arch having a continuous hollow outer moulding and an ogee inner moulding on engaged column with moulded capital and base. Rood loft staircase to north of chancel arch. Chancel has C19 roof now carried on original corbels carved with demi-angels. In the east wall flanking the altar are two niches with subcusped ogee heads and running foliate ornament. Above is a corbel table for a statue. Font. Octagonal bowl on modern base with fleurons to the soffit of the bowl.

Pevsner: Buildings of England p 463 VCH: Cambs Vol IV R Fawcett: Sutton in the Isle of Ely and its Architectural Context (British Archaeological Association: Medieval Art and Architecture at Ely Cathdral)

Listing NGR: TL4483678977

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely - Date: 1953 - Volume: 4
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire - Date: 1954 - Page References: 463
  3. Article  Reference - Author: Fawcett, R - Title: Sutton In The Isle Of Ely And Its Architectural Context - Journal Title: Medieval Art and Architecture at Ely Cathedral

National Grid Reference: TL 44836 78977

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 04:38:32.